Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear Suspension Rattle

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Duncombe1, Monday 18th Jun, 2012.

1. Duncombe1 New Member Getting Started

Hi, I have a 2004 2.2 CDTi Tourer (manual) that has done around 83,000 miles. I've had the car since new and although generally it is running brilliantly it has recently developed a rattle from the rear of the car. Initially I thought it was loose tools around the spare, but have since removed all lose items from the car and the rattle has persisted. The noise seems to be coming from the rear suspension and is certainly more of a metallic rattle than a heavy "clunking" sound. I've seen a few comments on the forum about rubber suspension bushes but couldn't see if the symptoms were the same. I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

This is a first posting so apologies if this has been covered before.

Regards, Lee.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Lee and welcome to AOC,

There are number of areas to look at to trace the noise on your Tourer but with out looking at the car these are all educated guess. ARB bushes easy to change just changed the ones on my wifes tourer which had mild play. When changing change in pair Drop links at the mileage you have indicated it would be safe to say they will be on their way out...also change in pair

Other than that the main spring and the damper won't cause any noise.

rotate your wheels to hear if the parking shoes are rubbing that can be another source of unwanted noise.

Lastly look in the boot for lose gear lying around :Wink:

3. Duncombe1 New Member Getting Started

Thank you very much for the reply. I'll change the ARB bushes myself first to see if that does the trick and then move on to the drop links. Are these the short vertical links (about £50.00 for the pair) that tie into the ends of the ARB and are they easy to do?

Thanks again,

Lee.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The drop links are pain as the nuts get rusted and inserting an Allen key to remove is near impossible. To change best take a angle grinder and snip off thread change both pair with new nuts.

5. Duncombe1 New Member Getting Started

Thought I'd close this out by letting you know that I changed the bushes on the ARB and that fixed the problem. The bushes that came off didn't look bad at all, but I suppose they had lost their elasticity and gone hard which allowed the ARB to "rattle around" within the mounting. Very easy job too.

Thanks again for the advice.

Lee.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Good job, and thanks for the feedback.