Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear Suspension Springs

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by MickyB, Saturday 24th Jan, 2015.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just a quick question for a friend who has an 07 reg CR-V, which he bought second hand a few months ago.
    He thinks the previous owner used it to pull a caravan(the tow bar is a dead giveaway), and he feels that the rear suspension seems pretty softish, he is going to replace the shock absorbers but was wondering if he can fit an upgraded spring to make it firmer.
    Any ideas please.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The rear suspension firmness is pretty perfect in stock form I've found, it takes the bumps well but has very little roll (although that's mainly down to the rarb)

I can't see the need to firm it up which is usually more for performance related reasons/cars or stronger springs if planning on taking excessive loads in the boot.

When he says soft, does he mean like bouncy? Or is it squatting? You could check the clearance height in the wheel arches to see if they've lost some of their tension? This happened with my MPS and was very noticeable. Perhaps a side photo would help?

3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll speak to him again tonight when I go to work and have a look like you say they may have lost some tension.

4. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I would agree, stock appears to give the right type of ride and handling

5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ok took some time to get together with my mate but finally managed it today so here`s a few photographs.(they may not be too good as they were taken with my dashboard camera)
    just to let you know i tried to get my fist in between the tyre and the wheel arch and couldn`t manage it I could only get 3 fingers in which is about 2 1/2 inches.
    There was another CR-V on the car park and when I tried to get my fist in the same position it went in no problem which I think would indicate that the springs have maybe lost their tension.
    10160043.JPG 10170045.JPG 10150042.JPG 10150041.JPG 10160044.JPG

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I was hoping you would take a full side shot so we could see the front as well. I'll check the measurements with mine and let you know.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've just measured mine, fronts are both 18" from the wheel arch and straight down to the middle of the centre caps. I figured it's more accurate to do it this way so that you aren't visually judging where the top of the tyre is.

Rear gaps are 17" on the nearside and 16.5" on the offside. The offside seems to be very similar to your friends car and to be honest doesn't look like it's all that wrong. I'd be more worried if you could only get a finger in but if it drives fine then i wouldn't worry.

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry about the full side view. He's seen a couple of others and the gap from tyre to arch is bigger than his. So I think he's going to look at replacing the springs and shock absorbers to.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd just start with the springs to be honest and see how it feels after that. If going OEM then it would be quite pricey to do the whole lot and if so I'd order from HH to get the discount.

OEM prices from Lings are (doesn't take into any HH discount):

52441SWWE21 Rear Spring: £84.52 each
    52748SWNH01 Dust Cover: £12.06 each (I'd probably replace these seeing as it's fairly inexpensive)
    52611SWAA02 Rear Shock: £172.57
    Total including VAT: £645.96 (if fitting yourself)

Or you can buy them as whole OEM kits I believe with all the bits and pieces if you want to renew all the bits and pieces:

52620SWWE71 Rear Left: £318.92
    52610SWWE72 Rear Right: £334.91
    Total including VAT: £784.59 (if fitting yourself)

If just doing the springs then you'd only be looking at £202.84 including the VAT if fitting yourself.

Eurocarparts can do Sachs springs (made by zee Bavarians) at £55.80 at the moment. I've generally had good experiences with Sachs although I'd personally go for OEM when we are only talking about £90 difference for the two. You can get rear springs on Ebay for £25 each but there's no way I'd put them on my car. I don't want them collapsing whilst taking a corner! lol

Their shock absorbers are £100 each, significantly cheaper than OEM but the make is KYB - the cheapest of the cheap and I wouldn't touch them. You can also get a pair of them for £167 on Ebay or a Sachs one for £94 each. I had KYB on my Mazda MPS which had gone at around 35,000 miles - but they wouldn't have been the OEM ones so I'm guessing they had probably only been on the car for about 10,000 absolutely maximum. Not good, but then the MPS was a heavy car and I never believed the suspension had been uprated enough to cope with the weight and handling ability (being AWD).

I've never done any suspension work on my CR-V, the MPS was easy to do the springs as they were completely separate from the shocks and all you did was release the lower arms by removing one bolt and loosening another. Literally a 10 min job for both. But I don't think the CR-V is separate so you'll need spring compressors. The MPS had a special control arm adjusting bolt which could be easily damaged if removed from the wrong side. Not sure if this is the case with the CR-V as the suspension is less adjustable I believe. Perhaps someone else can advise better?

MickyB and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for that Graham I'll pass these onto him next time I see him.