Aftermarket Kit Rear View / Reversing Camera for 2007 Ex with sat nav

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by GSD2013, Friday 29th May, 2015.

1. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

Please forgive me this post, if it has been covered previously. I did run a check with the search facility but it did not really help.

I am looking at installing a rear view camera for my car - Accord Tourer 57 EX 2.2 I-CTDI.

I think I am correct in assuming that the camera must connect to the sat nav part of the dash somewhere, but I am not really sure how this would work or be installed.

Can anyone advise on the most suitable camera kit to use with my car? Ideally the camera would have night vision/infra red and display parking lines on the screen.

Also, any help in how this is done/installed as I would need to get someone to do it - any willing and experienced members are welcome to help and they would be reimbursed accordingly.

I really don't know which way to go, whether to buy a kit or ask a company to supply and fit - any feedback would be valuable, to make my choice easier, as I don't want to pay a company who may not have knowledge of the Honda system.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks again

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I believe on the facelift Accords there is a camera input. @DeviateDefiant I think it was yourself that told me this, is this correct ?

If so then it should be fairly straight forward installing a camera.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's right, on the Facelift models on the back of the DVD-ROM drive for the Sat Nav, there's an unused input for a reversing camera which was never actually sold as an optional extra by Honda, however, it's all wired in and ready to go. Just need to grab a generic CCD number plate light camera from eBay (£10-25) and use a suitable connector to wire it into.

@Duc de Pommfrit recently completed this mod, have a look at his project log.
    - - - Updated - - -
    For the record, I have all the gear here to do it to mine as well and fully document it, but I haven't found the time as of yet.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    If I get some time a full guide will be written.

Nels likes this.
  6. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

Cheers Lads
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Duc de Pommfrit How did you chase the cable from rear to front ? And how did you create the cabling and connector ends?

7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Cable route was down the left side tucked under the plastic trim and into clove box, cables were made with parts from Maplins. Will try and get my write up done.

8. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wish mine wasn't a PFL. I either have to do some next level hacking or buy an expensive 'multimedia converter' to hook up a backup camera :Frown:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That is correct Sam, you would need to convert a Composite signal into RGB/s.

Converters aren't cheap at all.

10. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I never knew this :Smile:
    Does that mean all you need is a camera and a molex connector - wire it all up and plug it in then it should engage the camera when reverse is selected?

11. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Yes and end up with this.

image. image.

Accord_N22 likes this.
  12. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Very nice Paul.
    Did the camera you buy totally replace the licence plate assembly and clip into place and no need to wire in the reverse signal?
    Looks very discrete and has that OEM factory look too.
    Very impressed.

I do have rear parking sensors which are excellent and do the job great but you can't beat a rear view camera simply for having it - lol

13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

The camera replaced one of the number plate lights, if you can wait I will post a complete guide in just over a week

14. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks Paul
    A guide would be awesome :Smile: