General Rear washer Check Valve? On my RG1 Step Wagon

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by jd1959, Saturday 4th Apr, 2015.

1. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Hopefully someone might have an idea; so I've had a slight problem with the rear washer on the RG1. I could hear the motor run but no squirting. I cleaned the nozzle with a pin no change. Then I pulled off the inner fender and swapped the front/rear lines from the motors figuring the front pump had a bit more pressure and the washer worked after a bit of priming. Front washers on the rear motor worked as well so nothing wrong with the pumps, on switching them back all is well till the next day when it won't work again till I prime it with the front pump. I blew (gently not wanting to loose a tube in the headliner) into the tubing at the nozzle end and can bubble it in the reservoir. I'm thinking that a check valve is bad/dirty but for the life of me I can't find one in the lines that I can see, or in the diagram.

WINDSHIELD WASHER / | part list|JP-CarParts.com

Did Honda start sneaking check valves into the nozzle directly or am I missing something? Any thoughts as to where I should look or what might be the problem.

Thanks for the input.
    Zack

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looks like you have a lot of calcium flaking deposit from using normal tap water. I would remove the washer bottle from the car and soak the bottle and pump in vinegar for a few hours and drain to get all the curd out.

Then reconnect with a diluted vinegar and get the water up to the nozzle that may eat away the deposits in the pipe then drain again and using battery water or good quality premix screen wash to avoid this again.

Last edited: Saturday 4th Apr, 2015
  3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I'll give it a go and report back. I have always been an advocate of proper screen wash having grown up in a climate that hits -20 a few times a year, but who knows what the previous owner did.

Thanks for the input.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    I wonder if a check valve will solve the problem. On my CR-V Gen 3 it was an annoyance that I had a 4 second gap between the rear screen pump working and water coming out of the screen nozzle plus the rear wipers were wiping were over the dry dirty screen. I just put a cheap check valve in the line and smiled.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Great idea. Do you have a link to a check valve that you would use ?

6. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's just a simple 5mm one

SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I was thinking that myself, most washer systems I thought tend to have check valves in them but I didn't see one when I was going through it the other day. I'll do as Ichiban suggested and give the whole system a good clean for starters. The typical Honda dribble down the rear screen drives me a bit nuts given the amount of spray and muck the flat backed vehicles get so I was thinking to change the nozzle as well to something that would give a better spray pattern. Given the pump needs to lift and push the fluid through over 5m of tubing, keeping it primed and ready seems like a good idea.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The only danger is that you have a very long 5mm that is full of water. If you washer mix doesn't contain antifreeze then in the winter months the tube is susceptible to freezing.

9. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Very true and a good point, also the tube is above the headliner where leaks or replacement would be a nightmare, as for myself I always use antifreeze proprietary mix screen-wash, that doesn't mean that the Mrs. or even myself wouldn't grab any available source of water and toss some in if stuck. Where we live it would only be an issue a couple of nights a year but well worth considering. I'll clean out the system first, change the nozzle and see if I'm happy with the result before putting in a check valve.

10. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes a good point Speedy, Could be the reason Honda don't fit a check valve on the back. I wonder if the hose would slightly expandif frozen rather than splitting or coming off the connectors, I can't let you know because I only use the pre made up washer fluid with antifreeze and the worst frosts are now over........I hope