Pre-Facelift Model Rear Washer Revisited

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Wednesday 8th Jun, 2016.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I was finally able to attempt to have a go at finding out why the rear washer doesn't work... Managed to get the cover plate off, and remove the brake light... But only one of the screws holding the jet in place would come out. The other is well and truly rusted and trying to remove it started to round off the screw head.

So for now it's all back together... and soaked in some WD40.

How do you remove all the interior trim from the tailgate? I figure if I can't get the jet off right now, I may be able to disconnect some pipe work from behind and see if I can blow water through.. which would eliminate the jet as the problem.

Some one said that there is a non return valve in the line... Where exactly is it as that's another point I can check if the trim will come off.

2. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Terry Fort William
    On my 8th generation Accord tourer one can just prise of the plate immediately below the washer (internal and when the boot is open). This means you can just pop the hose off the washer jet and then investigate. I bought one of these 'plastic prizing sets' for a couple of quid from ebay - well worth having.

I also lifted the threshold plate at the drivers door (plastic, just pops off) and discovered that alongside the wiring loom is also the pipe to the rear washer and also a wee joint. I disconnected the joint and was able to blow through it both ways to see if the blockage was towards and including the jet or if it was towards and including the bottle.

In the end I discovered a fair amount of algae was resident in the bottle and no filter that I could find to stop gunk going into the pipes (both rear and front washers) and then blocking the pipes.

I got into the tank via the drivers side wheel arch (just removed a few clips) and then just pulled the pump out of the bottle to empty it.

I flushed the tank with a hose pipe and then poured in some bleach and flushed this through the pipe work.

I used a football attachment on a bike pump to force gunk through, it was pretty sticky stuff similar to snot!!

In the end, it was quite a bit of work cleaning the whole system out.

Some kind of filter at the pump would be a boon since cleaning this alone could then be an easy annual task.

I will pour a wee bit of Milton into the tank now and again to see if this will kill the algae or stop it growing.

Of course, this is on an 8th Generation' tourer and the above might not apply on a 7th?

Cheers, Terry

Heckler likes this.
  3. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just for clarity - there is of course a filter in the filler-bottle neck. This will stop debris getting into the system when filling but doesn't protect against stuff 'growing' in the bottle and then getting into the pipework.

It may be that the algae grows most during the summer when maybe the washer liquid stays in the bottle for longer?

4. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I managed to break the end of one of my trim tools taking the rear cover off underneath the spoiler.

I can't see a way to get at it from within... and I don't want to start pulling all the trim just to trace the tube... I know where it begins and ends... somewhere along that route is a non return valve, and that seems like a good place to start.

5. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I didn't see anything that resembled a non return valve - it may be there but I didn't see it!
    I had sight of most of the tubing (though not every inch of it).

Cheers, Terry

6. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Pipe runs down right hand side of car behind the sub location I can tell you that.

Boot trim prises off but when I last removed mine i ended up breaking some clips.

Heckler likes this.
  7. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would start at the drivers side threshold strip (at foot level).
    Prize this off and intersect the washer pipe going to the rear from the bottle.

Find the connector piece and pull it apart.
    Then use a bike pump with a football inflator pipe and blow down both ends: a) to the rear washer and b) to the bottle.

You will hear bubbles in the washer bottle if this section is not blocked. Also operate the rear washer when this pipe is disconnected to flush debris through this section..

Have someone stand at the rear washer and see if they can hear air being forced out of the washer jet with the bike pump. (much easier if you can remove the pipe at the jet).

If the pipes are partially blocked you might be able to force some water down them with the bike pump (filled with hot soapy water).

In the end, I managed to clear my rear washer system by blowing down the pipes (I had removed pipes from jet).

The front system however had to be disassembled and each pipe section cleaned and 'rodded' with wire to get the gunge out.

This was easier than it sounds, there are connections at intervals and you just have to remove some of the panels below the windscreen.
    I pulled the sections apart and took them to the kitchen sink to clear them.

Naturally, use a piece of wire for the jets. The perfect wire is the stuff down the middle of these wee wire ties which are tied around rolled up sat nav' or tablet re-charge cables, etc. when they come from the shop. Its stainless and very thin, stiff, though bendable.

Actually, my jets are still not perfect and I reckon I need new ones.

Cheers, Terry

8. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I relocate my front washer jets, as they were both knackered when I bought the car (along with a non functioning rear one). I bought a kit that allows you to fix them to the wiper arms. Each jet has 4 nozzles and allows fluid to spray over the entire screen as the wipers move across it.

Shame you can't do the same with the rear wiper.

9. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Heckler likes this.
  10. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

@raza4 That's as far as I got, one of the screws holding the jet in place was well and truly rusted and it was starting to strip the head when I tried to get it out. Coated with some WD40 and put it all back together... Will give it another try later this week when I've got some free time.

11. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Ok good luck hope it comes out.