Tyres & Wheels rear wheel bearings

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by k13ehr, Tuesday 13th Nov, 2012.

1. k13ehr New Member Getting Started

04 2.2 Diesel estate.

The OS rear wheel bearing has been making a noise for the last few months but only on motorways and wheel getting hot to touch on OS only, it's mainly used local so not been a problem, but a longer motorway trip was planned for this week so time to get it sorted out.

I found the correct bearing on Ebay and arranged for the supplier to fit as well, but when we took the wheel and disc off the bearing seemed to be fine, so we decided to look at the other side to compare, that too felt fine, we spun it, same minor noise form both, I put a long pry bar across the threads and let it swing down on both side and there was nothing in it, however both discs were badly corroded but plenty of thickness left on the discs and pads, but for the price I was quoted to replace £85 all in I thought it worth doing, the brake back plates have seen better days but attacked with a wire brush and an old screwdriver they succumbed to my not inconsiderable charms :Whistle::Whistle: the dust cover is missing in one tiny place so needs attention later at some point, these should be made of plastic not metal Mr Honda, so put everything back and took it for a spin, voila! quietness from the nether regions and less beer vouchers lost.

So don't always assume the worst, the cost was going to be £250 all in, so a huge savin.

We were going to replace the big Front OS lower wishbone bush but one bolt proved to be a swine to get out, mainly because Mr Honda didn't design the access very well at all, you can't get in with a windy gun, and the steering arms and anti roll bar stopped almost all ratchet movement, warming up the captive nut was looking iffy too due to pipes and gaiters all around it.

Anyhoo the reason for this post was to ask if anyone had had any success with changing the bearing itself rather than the housing as they are hellish expensive, Mine being the tourer was over £150, it seems to me if the bearing were put in they can be taken out with some effort and maybe made an exchange item by someone.

Kev.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi @Ichiban
    Do you know if you can split the hub and just replace the bearing rather than the whole unit? Used to replacing bearings in bike wheels by drifting them out and so thought if possible may work out the same price to do all four for the price of one hub? If needed of course.

Cheers

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This for the rear or front bud?

Rear are hubs one unit front you have bearing on their own

Rear Hub

B__1910.

Item 4 part # 42200-SJF-951 BEARING ASSY., RR. HUB UNIT
    Item 11 part # 90305-S30-003 NUT, SPINDLE

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Bones126 what is the issue you are having ? If your getting like a drone coming from the rear wheels, first thing to check before considering wheel bearings is state of tyres and wheel alignment.

6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks @Ichiban

@SpeedyGee nothing too serious, I was passenger in the back of the car the other night an thought it sounded like the OS rear was droning like a wheel bearing on the way out. Tyres are in good nick so wouldn't hurt to get the wheel alignment checked first.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    See how the tracking goes. You also have the option of rotating tyres with the fronts.

Bones126 likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Feel the tyre with the palms of your hand when lifted and feel the tyre as you rotate it, you will soon figure out if the tyre wear is perfect or not.

PS wear gloved as your hands will be black LOL

Bones126 likes this.
  9. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    My rear driver side is starting to drone and will need replacing. The hub is around €210, has anyone replaced the bearing on its own and if so what is the make and bearing number. Car has done 132k miles and id a 2.2 I-CTDI diesel 2008 Ex saloon