General Rear windscreen washer leak

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by DaBlackOne, Friday 22nd Aug, 2014.

1. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    Hellooooo

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I think I have a leaky rear washer hose. The washer itself works fine, however I noticed today that there is what looks like water marks and blue scree wash stains on the back of the roof where the boot starts and the car body ends, if that makes sense!

My question is where is the rear washer hose? Is it in the rubber umbilical by the boot strut or does it run across the roof?

Thanks in advance!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can you take some pics of the area where you are seeing the watermarks please.

Does your Civic have a sunroof ?

3. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    Thank you for your reply, here are the photos of the damage to the roof lining. Hope they are clear enough....

No sunroof on the car...

6ff49995e421abb9e104c3eba3a0aaff_zps7ef5687e.

2bdea06cafa1a0c6a8ab456b6ba2f143_zps0a61b42c.

450f4f4de76905a4b95985c0163a6c24_zpsf4f66238.

806844e167c902d915d888bf7f6a1f6b_zps16919320.

4. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Hi Helen, welcome along, not 100% sure on your model but I'd guess looking at the pics that the washer hose will run up the N/S boot hinge area, along the roof to the O/S and to the front from there, here's a pic of my broken hose running along my boot hinge.

20131201_123153.

Your best bet would be to carefully pull the roof lining down (using proper trim tools) and have a look, or being that it's a recent purchase ask the people you got it from to take a look at it for you.

DaBlackOne likes this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It sounds to me like it is the rear washer hose, is it still wet back there? I'm wondering whether it's an old problem that was fixed before you brought the car, or a new one since you've owned it - either way, I'm assuming you have a warranty at the moment right?

6. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    Thank you for all your replies, I have it booked in at my local Honda garage, not the one that I bought the car from as they were quite rude when I called them about the issue. I am hoping that this will be covered on warranty, however the garage I bought the car from said hoses are wear and tear?

It feels quite dry at the back now but I have not used the rear washer in a few days and we have had really warm weather.

I hope the staining comes off the roof. :Frown:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Hoses like that are most definitely not wear and tear, you'd expect them to last 8-10 years at the least. Other than using your rear washer as per usual, I don't see how you could prematurely wear the hose whatsoever. It's simply bad fitment from the factory, contest and refute that point entirely. You should also ask them to replace the stained panel if you cannot easily clean it up yourself.

Unfortunate reality of car dealers is that they'll attempt to get out of any cost to them possible, you have to stick your foot down.

A good line is that you've been advised to speak to Honda UK about the issue by your car club as there's no way on a nearly new car under warranty that the hose is fair wear and tear, HUK will be able to approve the warranty claim (and also put the dealer in there place if they're taking the mick). You may find they change their tone, and if not, that's your future course of action.

DaBlackOne and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    Thank you for your advice, it's greatly appreciated. I'm sure you can understand my disappointment having forked out a lot of money for the car only to have been told I would have to spend more money to get this fault repaired.

The car is under warrantee, is this valid for any honda dealership/garage or do I have to take it back to the place I bought it from? I hope not as the attitude of the guy I spoke to in the service department has prompted me to book the car in with my local Honda garage.

9. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    I'm trying to work out how to create my 'garage' but I'm not sure of my engine code? Anyway here is a pic of my Civic sat waiting for me to collect when I bought it

ab5c5994ceea855c871477b4c4bccd3f_zps95dacd44.

0f579e56647144ef82fe5503e0254593_zps766a0d63.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Although this is for the Insight, the principle is the same.

VIN & Engine Code

Your Handbook will tell you where the VIN & Engine Number plates are.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

@Ichiban can best advise on the warranty conditions and where you can take it. I've never brought a Honda from a dealer personally.

Your engine code is R18A2 I believe :Smile:

DaBlackOne likes this.
  12. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    An internally located hose like that being faulty at that age of car is unacceptable. Tell them to repair it, especially if you only just bought it from them.

If you get hassle, talk to trading standards officers.

DaBlackOne likes this.
  13. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Your contract is with the dealer who sold you the car, but you can argue your case for having it done more locally.

DaBlackOne likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right have read this thread @DaBlackOne you need to speak to the supplying dealer and speak to the service manager only. tell him to open a TESS case with DTS under warranty! that is totally unacceptable , wear and tear my foot total and utter rubbish. If you get stuck just reply to this thread we will help you.

DaBlackOne and DeviateDefiant like this.
  15. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    Hello! Sorry for the delayed reply, been off work this week so have had a bit of a break from the world wide web!

I have called my local honda garage and they have said they will honor the warranty if the repair is warranty worthy, I explained the fault and they didn't give me diffinitive answer regarding whether it will be covered so we shall see.

I am dropping it off to the garage on Monday morning and will see what they say before I start getting cross. I'm hoping it will be ok, as you chaps have said, it's an internal part of the car and being the car is only 2 years old with 15k on the clock wear and tear seems very unlikely. I'm also going to ask for a new roof lining as I don't think the staining is going to come out and it will annoy me for ever if it's not rectified!

I shall keep you all upto date with what's happening!

Thank you for all the great advice! Your a cool bunch on here! I will load up my garage after the faff with the leak is sorted! I would like to make some mods to it so I'm sure I will be asking advice for other bits too!

Thanks again!!!!

16. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Mate, don't take any shit. If they try and fob you off, tell them you'll be onto Honda UK.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

:HobbyHorse:

DaBlackOne and moob like this.
  18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Be polite and calm at all times, but state your case clearly and assertively. Make sure they understand what you expect.
    That's what's always worked for me.

Remember, they don't want confrontation and are more likely to be on your side if you treat them in a civil manner..

DaBlackOne and DeviateDefiant like this.
  19. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Yeah, that's what I meant. :Wink:

DaBlackOne and Nels like this.
  20. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    Yep that's the tactic I was going to use. I'm just going to re literate that I have spend a lot of money on this car and an loyal to the honda brand but I don't expect these kind of issues to be paid for you of my own pocked...