Engine & Gearbox Reason for high rev hesitation

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by exec, Monday 16th Nov, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So I've had this odd 'issue' that I noticed when in VTEC and in high revs near the redline 7k, the car drops revs and lunges, thought something wrong with it as i expect a car to just bounce off the rev limit, but it turns out on the 6th Generation for the engines f20 and f18 the ECU cuts off fuel supply at 6.5k RPM to prevent over-revving, kinda annoying, but makes sense now, also in second as Honda limited end to 59mph, you hit the speed limit pretty quickly and the car lunges too as it can't go any higher than that.

Anyway not much reason to post this other than to highlight that in case anyone else has the same issue*

*not really an issue.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    EGR plate? clogged?
    Wrong plugs.
    Worn plugs .
    Worn dizzy rotor.
    Shorting HT leads.
    Dizzy cap broken or cracked.
    it can be a clogged fuel filter.

The list is endless.

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Sorry should have made it clear this isnt a need help thread, rather a info thread. Wanted to let others know there is a fuel cut off at 6.5k rev on 6th gens with 1.8 and 2.0 engines and its not an actual 'problem' with the car as i thought I had.

SpeedyGee and legend-ary like this.
  4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've noticed that countless times, annoying but I sort of assumed it was the norm considering they're "economy" engines

EDIT: Need to test out that 59mph in 2nd for fun though

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Yeh I guess your right I thought mine had an issue, kinda annoying though as it always takes me by surprise as its goes onto the rev limit very quickly, the 2nd gear speed limit also drives the 0-60 time up by a second or two, otherwise you can clock 0-59 in under 8secs on this car, around ~7.5 if your quick with the gear change, but that keeps the insurance down so all good.

Harvey likes this.