Off-Topic recommend me a decent tyre

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Monday 25th Jun, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello chaps
    Time has come to change all 4 of my tyres and they are very expensive.As much as i would like to continue using premium tyres unfortunately my finances at the moment won't allow it.
    I been looking at Michelin and Yokohama last few days and best price i found is 680£ and up.Ideally i would be happy to part with up to 550 pound coins.
    Can you recommend me a decent mid range tyre that will do the job or should i just beg, steel and borrow and stretch that much more for premium tyre?
    What do we think?
    By the way tyre size is 225/45/18 95Y
    Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had Pirelli P Zero Rosso on my last Accord and didnt like them,wearing out too fast.

Mikem likes this.
  4. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will vouch for that too

5. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    225 45 18 ?

Yokohama cdrive is a good tyre I like them a lot, quiet smooth and good grip wet or dry and never had probs in the snow with these on the old A6 or wifes passat tdi. Wear is good depending on how you drive. I need a pair for mine 225 45 17 will probably go for these and see how I get on with the Accord, appreciate not all tyres suit all cars but pirelli and goodyears on at the moment are not that impressive but then they are getting low now.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    C drives are not for me ,as much as I love yokohama tyres this model isn't top of my list. They are great when they have meat on the bones once they get to 3 mm they howl like crazy. Cliff had them on his tourer lately and he loves them.

7. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you can get to costco they have a deal on for four Michelin Pilot Sport 3's with 20% off and if memory serves it worked out at £320 or £360 all in.

Im going myself on Saturday to get a set.

Be quick the deal runs out on the 1st July

Ichiban likes this.
  8. ruffneckting Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have been to Costco and got quote of 700£ for 4 tyres.Thanks for the tip.

10. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

£700 bloody hell, how big are your wheels? :Aghast:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    wow that's insane which tyres were they Zoran ? I am contemplating 18 inch wheel on my tourer now .

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Michelin pilot sport 3 225/45/18
    Wherever I been to get quote they tell me because its odd size.
    If it was 225/40/18 like on my last Accord it would be cheaper.
    I could fit 225/40/18 but speedo would give inaccurate reading.
    Joy of having a car sometime .

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zoran after a quick calculation between 225/45/18 versus 225/40/18 ,if you go for the 225/40/18 when your speedometer indicates 70 MPH you would actually be travelling at 67.61 MPH.

So there is a reduction in speed and not an increase,however with the side wall reduction of (0.44) you may find the ride slightly harder and a bit skittish.

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't want to do that.I will stick to correct tyre size.it just that I will have to settle for mid range tyres because of high prices.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good a lot of owners out there have opted for the easier and cheaper option.Your car is so sure footed by going to the cheaper option it will ruin that superb balance.

16. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd recommend Kumho Ecsta. 4 fully fitted in your size for £325 on blackcircles. Great tyre and got them on mine.

17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks Paul.I will have a look now.

18. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Although little heard of they are OE suppliers to Chevrolet, Chrysler, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes Benz, Mitsubishi, Smart, Ssangyong and Volkswagen. So they can't all be wrong! And they have a motorsport heritage.

19. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

My god! These prices are insane, I am iin the wrong job or am I tight fisted ...I would not pay that sort of money for tyres... Might start a tyre factory though

20. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You would think so,700£ quote was with 20% discount.After 1 of July is 205£ for one tyre.:Crazy: