Tools Recommended air compressors...

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Jasper254, Sunday 31st May, 2015.

1. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Norwich
    Going to treat myself to an air compressor soon and just wondering what people's favourites are? Nothing too large, just going to sit in the garage and be used to top up tyres and I'll get some air tools for it. Possibly considering the Sealey oil extractor also. How many litres would suit and what brands are reliable? Thanks guys!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is for speedy, if you want to use air tools ideally you need a tank with at least 100 litres of air to give the compressor a rest.

3. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's a good point, not ideal if its working 24/7 to keep up. I'll see what @SpeedyGee has to say!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sam, I'll post my thoughts up later on today.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Sorry Sam, been meaning to reply to this.

There's three aspects to a compressor, first is the HP of the motor, second is CFM (cubic foot per minute, how much air the compressor can move) and thirdly there is tank size.

For motor horsepower about the most you can get from a single phase 240v supply is about a 3HP motor but for general purpose DIY use a 1.5HP or 2.0HP motor is pretty sufficient, also the more powerful the motor the more expensive the compressor.

CFM, have a look at the tools that you will be using, you want the CFM output of the compressor to be more than the CFM consumption of the tools that your will be using.

Tank size, as big as you can get assuming of course that you don't want a portable compressor. A 100 litre tank is pretty hard to more around, you'd want it sat in one corner/side of the garage.

As for brands of compressors, I'm not too up to speed with that aspect of things.

Jasper254 and Nels like this.
  6. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee this explains everything... I'll have to do some research now, I should think 1.5HP will suffice and the tank size will be down to space in the garage but I didn't know about CFM. And when it comes to brands I guess a compressor is a compressor haha!

Thanks for spelling it out for me, appreciated! :Laughing:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

8. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's what urged me to get one - oil changes would be much easier with one of those. So what CFM and tank size would be best for that?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's rated at 5 CFM but I have feeling that is it more. My silent compressor falls behind with trying to feed the oil extractor, I have to kick in the big 3HP beast (which is currently poorly :Sobbing:) to properly run the oil extractor.

I'd be tempted to go for a 2HP with at least a 50litre tank, 100litre would be better though.

10. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Needs a fair bit of air then! It would be ideal to extract all the oil in one go rather than waiting on the compressor every ten seconds! :Grin: Oh no, get well soon then... Thanks again for your help, cleared a few things up for me

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I think you've just prompted me to go check out my poorly (3HP) compressor (early morning garage fun before the family gets up) :Smile:

Jasper254 likes this.
  12. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Haha, sounds like a good idea! What's wrong with it?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It doesn't come on, just blows fuses.

As it turned out, I didn't make it into the garage this morning, got lumbered with making the breakfast for everyone and then got stuck into the day.

Oh well, will get round to looking at the poorly compressor one day. The silent compressor does a great job majority of the time so the need to fix the other isn't so pressing.

14. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Time for some surgery by the sounds of it. Haha, no surprise there. Add it on to the list of jobs for tomorrow! Well good luck, and a silent compressor sounds good.