Tools Recommended Spring Compressors?

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by AndyB1976, Saturday 11th May, 2013.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Hello..

I am thinking of getting a set of spring compressors to add to the 'toolbox' for the Accord but I'm unsure what kind to buy for the seemingly extra long and strong Honda springs.

I guess my options are the rod type
    OEM 25550 Strut Spring Compressor - Amazon.com

Or the more expensive clamshell type
    OTC 6494 Clamshell Strut Spring Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

Any experience of spring compressing anyone? Priority is safety over cost. Obviously there is the option of letting a garage do it but I prefer to gain the tool and experience even if it is initially a bigger outlay.

Cheers

Andy:Thumbup:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Andy I would personally go for the first one because I have used them , but you have to be sure you wind in both side equally the second one look more elaborate and seems to compress the entire spring evenly.

what suspension work are you planning to do ?

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've used the 1st type as well. I didn't have any issues with safety. As Ichiban said make sure you wind them evenly.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers guys....

I am not planning any specific spring work, well other than my 6th Generation when the need arises. I will be staying stock/OEM not going into lowering etc like to keep my car totally standard and OEM unless you have any good experiences with other kit.

Can you buy a complete assembly OEM or otherwise? Just thinking about doing the work and maybe time, tools and labour against the cost of a complete assembly could be cost effective long term.

I do like the look of the clamshell in operation...

[video=youtube_share;lX7U47F8S9I]http://youtu.be/lX7U47F8S9I?t=2m55s[/video]

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry Andy for not responding to this earlier just been manic with the forum issues lately. After seeing that clip have to agree its very cool provide you have pneumatic tools and compressor. Ideally for workshop for a quick turn around but for a hobbyist and DIYer the additional cost of extra bits may be extreme.

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No worries at all CJ.

I'm definitely in the hobby/DIY category, but am a bit of a tool junkie too. Was really just a generally opinion as I start maybe stepping up from the typical DIY tool bag to the next level so to speak.

Thanks again ;-)

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tool junkie uum with similar tastes!! :Wink: once you get the tool bug you only go for pro stuff which is the best way but it ££££££££...