Pre-Facelift Model Reducing tyre noise

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Amused, Saturday 29th Jun, 2013.

1. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a feeling the tyre noise on my prefacelift 8th Generation is a tad too loud.

At the moment I have the standard floor mats in the car. Do you think the elegance floor mats (due to being made from a different material) would help in noise reduction?

I know the rubber ones would help, but that's not an option for me in the summer due to dust build up.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nick is also depends on the how much tread you have left on your current tyres. New tyres will be quieter than worn ones, which are the cause of tyre howl and noise.

Personally if you have 3mm tread left then that is sufficient for it to get noisier , the lower from 3mm you get it will progressively get harsher.

Which tyres do you have on the car now?

3. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

CJ, I have new tyres, and they are perfectly quiet on smooth roads. The problem is with coarse asphalt, and I'd prefer just a bit less noise. So I wonder if elegance mats will do the trick.

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi CJ,

I thought the opposite with thread on tyres: the less thread, the quiter, no?
    It's the amount of air that's pumped in and out the thread that creates (amongst other factors) tyre noise.

But I see your point: the more rubber (in general), the more muffling/isolation of the road?

Amused,
    With existing tyres, there's one thing worth checking: a spot on tyre pressure. Obvious: to high pressure = more noise.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We have plenty of coarse asphalt in wet britain here to ensure proper drainage, reduce water spray and importantly avoid aquaplaning not ideal for quiet ride.

The elegance mats won't reduce a lot of decibels in the states they have a few option but not a massive reduction in decibels.

DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Episode #231 - Aries & WeatherTech Sound Dampening Test

efalzon likes this.
  6. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, same thing here.

7. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Is your car lowered, could be camber wearing tyres