Guides Refurb your Exhaust Manifold heatshield

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by AndyB1976, Tuesday 20th Aug, 2013.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I got a bit annoyed looking at the corroding heat shield so I tried to polish it up with Autosol metal polish, although it tidied up a bit it just became a shinier mess than it was before.

heatshield_zps707a3e79.

I decided to paint it, I saw some High Temp Paint in Halfords so bought a rattle can. It is recommended to clean the surface with thinners or suchlike, of which I had none. I did have a Gunk degreaser at hand so wiped it down with that then rinsed off any residue and let it air dry.

IMAG0297_zps117b2153.

So remove the three 12mm bolts, two up above and one below. The lower bolt was a corroded mess on mine, it was no longer hexagonal so only vice grips inside a cheater pipe (Arcan jack handle) got mine off. I just sat the heat shield on a bit of cardboard and proceeded to spray it.

Now its recommended to paint onto bare metal, my first coat was therefore my best. I decided to give it a second coat but it basically left something like a fine powdery residue on the surface. I thought that it may cure eventually but weeks later after building engine temperatures up gradually it never quite cured.

IMAG0299_zpsfe761959.

I simply brushed off the existing 'residue' with a soft paint brush a fortnight later. Today (6weeks later) its still looking much better than it did before.

IMAG0463_zpsc359d342.

Ichiban, Racy Jace and SpeedyGee like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :GoodJob: :Hey:

3. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Much the same as Zinc Primer

Just don;t touch it with bare hands or anything greasy.

The other option is a light sand or soda blast (preferably soda) then have it re-galvanised.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers Pete,

Any further tips/advice welcome.:Thumbup:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Same here :GoodJob:

6. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Fill a spray bottle with water (distilled if you can, if not, boil the kettle, wait for it to cool a bit then use that)
    use cillit bang and a stiff brush to clean up the rest of the engine block and head.
    Run the car for a couple of minutes, allow a bit of heat round the engine bay but don't let it get to operating temperature otherwise you end up with loads of water marks and stains.
    Spray the Cillit Bang, leave for a minute, agitate with the brush then spray off with the water.

Would look awesome with the freshly done heatshield :Grin:

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers for that Pete, will give it a go :Thumbup:

8. avander.uk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks great Andy I'll drop mine off later and you can have a go at mine lol