Body, Paint & Styling Refurbishing a scratched gear knob

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by -BA-, Thursday 23rd Jan, 2014.

1. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys

Exploring ways to refurb my gear knob. I think the previous owner must have worn a ring as there are quite a few scratches on the chrome/aluminium part that I would like to remove is possible.

I have a Dremel with polishing heads that I was thinking about trying but does anyone have any suggestions on how I could refurb it? Does anyone know what type of metal it is?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Get a threaded bar/bolt with head cut off, put the knob on that, put both on a clamped cordless drill.

Set to spin a slow speed. Use the grades of sand paper 400 - 1000, starting coarse and going finer.

Finish by polishing with some AutoSol metal polish.

Should come up super shiney :Thumbup:
  3. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Never actually removed the knob itself, does it just twist off? Could I not do it in situ with a Dremel tool other than creating dust I supposed?
  4. 1093 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Go to Wiki, the accord section accessories, at the bottom pick the PDF file for 6 speed gear knob and it will tell you how to remove the knob etc.
  5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    What he means is yes it just unscrews.
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I actually laughed out loud.

I might try this considering I still have my old scratched up Type-S knob.
  7. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any chance of prising the 1-6 gears metal 'top' off?

I can have it re-chromed...
  8. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ooh now that will be worth looking into. I will try to get around to removing it next weekend as am away on business all week. Where could you get that done? Southport here too by the way 0/ :Smile:
  9. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Would send to Preston and ask Aquaduct Street Re-chromers to do it. They did some work on my vintage VW Beetle (that had a lotta chrome). They were very reasonable and did a great job. They do take their time as their are semi-retired. But no biggie for me.

If you can prise yours off - can do you mine? I'm dangerous with tools...I'm am not allowed near any electrical tools.
  10. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will take a look at this at the weekend hopefully. Trying to get the rear parking camera and sensors fitted first. Not doing myself as I am not confident with wiring stuff. If all goes well with the gear knob I will get in touch :Smile:
  11. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think I would have tried Brasso silver clean to begin with its magic on that kind of stuff :GoodJob:
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dude do you or you misses have a few rings on your fingers? That sort of damage is indicative there is metal to metal contact that sort of damage can't happen by the palms of your hands ?
  13. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As I stated in my OP, that was my surmise from the previous owner :Smile: