Detailing rejuvenating emblems

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by k20a3, Wednesday 12th Aug, 2015.

1. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Has anyone here any suggestions on bringing the red part of my Type-S badge back to life? Its gone to a faded pink and looks ugly. Not sure if heat would work like it does on the mudflaps and other black parts?

Any of you had success in this area?

Many Thanks

2. You can't really mate, the colour has oxidised over the years and is under a protective plastic coating. I would just order a new one.
  3. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I see.... When I go online the Type-S badge is not listed on the parts diagram.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@k20a3 - your local Honda dealer should be able to help or you could call Holdcroft.

Which badge is it - could you post a picture?
  5. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply. The badge is the same as the one on this pic off the web.

The one on the right that is :Smile:

When I get my camera working i will take a picture of the badge closer up.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That's a very tidy looking Civic @k20a3 :clap:

Not genuine, but this looks like it could do the job for not too much money?

I'd definitely see how much the genuine Honda part is from a dealer first though...:Smile:
  7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My mugen badge looks faded too but I think it's a wax build up as the thin white layer scratches off.
  8. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks racy!

I will try some very careful scraping and let you know.;-)
  9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

T cut or brassO should work. Using some silicon spray/furniture polish or baby lotion after should bring the red back completely.
    FirstHonda likes this.
  10. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will give it a go and let you know!

Thanks mate:Smile:
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Now that I didn't know. Great tip @Racy Jace :Thumbup:

Be sure to show us how you get on @k20a3 :Smile:
  12. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK guys I have successfully restored my Type-S badge. See what you think!

I am really happy with this!:Smile:
  13. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    @k20a3 is this the method you used as was going to buy a new one myself but looking at your end result I would like to give it a try :Smile:
  14. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I ended up using the same kit I used to clean my headlights :Smile:
    Using 4 various standing stages followed by a cut and polish using the plasti x cream provided.
    It was a meguiars kit.
    Worked a treat!
    The one in the picture is actually one I bought second hand which was also faded badly. I will be putting it on the front grill instead of the JDM one I have as that one is a little yellow looking for my liking. Then I gave the one on the car tailgate the same treatment and it came up just as good.
    I would encourage any Type-S or Type-R from the same era to do the same. Really finishes the car off a treat!
  15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm glad you've managed to restore the badge. My mugen badge has a more intricate surface so is a little bit harder to polish out so I'll be sticking a new one on as I have a spare. If I had a dremel It would take 5 mins to do. I new the badges could be restored it's just having the time to do it is another thing.
    k20a3 likes this.
  16. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes thanks racy, it was after reading your comments that it gave me the idea of having a go with the headlight kit.
    Many thanks:Smile:
    Racy Jace and FirstHonda like this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

What a fantastic result!

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Look like a smashing job you've done there Joe. :Hooray:
    Well done.