Engine & Gearbox Remind me again why did I buy a diesel :(

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dave, Sunday 4th Nov, 2012.

1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Took the dog out this morning all fine, popped to supermarket all fine then popped out again and got the dreaded...

Whats the score with Limp home when it first came on it wouldn't rev over 2k RPM but after stopping at the shops it would rev normally but the light was still on.

No hiccups or hesitation and its got a gen fuel filter on it that won't have done 20k yet.

Can anyone recommend a decent code reader? and are the bluetooth ones any good?
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Come over to Leeds I will tell ya ?
  3. Dave400 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Last time I had that fault was related to the glow plug circuit, cleared the code to see if the fault would come back and so far it hasn't..

Think it was too eager key turning on my part and not waiting for the glow plug light to go out..
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would like to agree with you and your assessment, but without the code read and deleted can't say..but its worth bearing in mind as A potential cause.
  5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Going to order a reader off eBay, anyone recommend one, my laptop has Bluetooth so was thinking of going down that route.

On another plus point the clutch slip started again tonight and then its gone again it did the same about 5 months ago so I best budget for that sometime soon :Frown:

So will the light stay on until its reset? Car is no longer in limp mode, it could be something to do with glow plug circuit it had done 2 very short trips and had not even done half a mile when light came on.
    we'll find out at weekend anyway.
    Last edited: Sunday 4th Nov, 2012
  6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    could be IMRC valve or any number of faults. get the codes read and let us know what has come up. rather than buy a reader you may find it just as cheep to ask a honda dealer how much it is to just read your codes and give you a print out of what the problem is and some advise. i know for a fact my dealer HH would help you out, you just need to ask the question.
  7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks beefy if I was a little closer I'd come to HH, it will be going there when the clutch finally gives in.
  8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Reader came today set it up on the laptop installed drivers/software etc but when I plug it into the car sod all happens it just says there is no connection to the car check ignition etc.... Is there a specific way I should be doing it? I mean it only plugs in one way so how hard can it be apart from doing it in the dark n rain lol (I bought a cabled one)

Any help greatly appreciated because patience is growing thin now :Frown:

Oh and the light went out when driving home from work today.
    Last edited: Friday 9th Nov, 2012
  9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On mine I connect up the reader start the program, and turn the ignition to the second position. It then connects.
    Bear in mind you have to set the com port and baud rate in the program. This info is normally written on the side of the reader.

Which reader did you buy? put up a link. Also what operating system are you running on your PC?
  10. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I never got mine to work with windows vista. I had to use it with an old laptop running windows millennium.
    My suspicion will be that Vista is the problem.
  12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I do have an old laptop so could try that but I believe its more the plug connecting to the car. Having another go in the daylight might help.
  13. GavTheMighty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its actually true a lot of these programs don't like anything above XP especially if your running the 64 bit versions of Vista or Windows 7.
  14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Let's hope the light stays off.
  15. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You can install a program call virtual box(freeware I think) and this will allow you to run a different operating system within your operating system..
  16. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm hoping the light stays off too but I want to know what caused it to come on as well. I'm installing Win98 on my old laptop at the moment and will try that. It may be something simple as to why its not working with Vista as I've seen videos of people having it running under Windows 7.
  17. GavTheMighty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Again though it would depend on the version of windows 7 for example I had a program to read codes on my Audi and it turned out that it worked on every single version of windows 7 except mine. I had windows 7 home 64bit and it even works on the ultimate windows 7 64 bit but just not mine which was a known thing on the net so it can be bizzare what will and won't work.
  18. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

From my experience I'm fairly confident your problem is Vista. Try it with Win98. You make a good point about windows 7, I haven't tried that as I ran as fast as I could away from windows and bought a mac.
  19. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok here we go:

P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High
    P0183 - Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit High
    P1031 - ??
    P1384 - ??
  20. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would be tempted to clear the codes and see if any come back. Some of those codes could be historical.