Electrical & Lights Remote Key Fob

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by bobjk, Tuesday 9th Sep, 2014.

1. bobjk New Member Getting Started

bob
    Hi, was wondering if anybody knows the best place for a replacement remote key fob, it's the 2 button type G8D-452H-A. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's a few on ebay at the moment.

Programming is pretty straightforward and is listed somewhere on the forum

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup as Speedy said, eBay is your best bet to get one at a good price. I can PM you the reprogramming instructions when required.

Nels likes this.
  4. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    Managed to replace the 3 button one that Royal Mail managed to lose with one from ebay for £12.50. However, make sure it is the right model number and frequency,

5. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    Any update to this? I've recently got a MY2000 1.8 with only a single fixed key. I presume it had a remote originally and would be kken to buy and program a replacement. Would it be the same as above and where could I get a steer re programming it?
    Thanks in anticipation

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Chunkylover53, we need your expertise when you're on next please.

Rob S likes this.
  7. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    One would almost certainly assume so.

Mine is a G8D-452H-A but I did not open the remaining fob I had to check the model number beforehand and ended buying a G8D-344H-A in error which of course did not work ! Reprogramming is simplicity itself - but getting hold of the correct remote model will be the issue. If you have a Honda dealer locally you pop in and on the pretence of asking them how much a new one would cost (and believe me they are not cheap) ask them what the model number is, then go take a look on ebay for one (or better still 2 just in case one goes down). Alternatively, if you have a mate who also has the same car as you, ask to borrow his remote and resync it to your car (a simple operation). If it works, open it up, look for the model number on the circuit board (they are clearly visible) and go look on ebay - they typically about the £20 - £25 mark (one from the dealer will set you back the wrong end of £200 with programming).

If you would like the resync instructions I can email them to you.[/quote]

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    why don't you post the instructions here for the wider community ? if you share this information via email then how will that benefit others?

9. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    OK, there are 2 parts to syncing your new remote fob to your car, but firstly you need to be in the car with all the doors, windows and boot closed. To make life easier it helps to have the remote fob separate from your ignition key.

Part 1: This procedure needs to be repeated 3 times: Turn ignition on so that dashboard lights illuminate - press the lock button on your remote once - then turn ignition off straight away.

Part 2: Once you have turned ignition off for the 3rd time, stay in the car and press the lock button once. You should hear the locks "cycle". If that happens, remove ignition key, exit car, close door and use remote to lock car. If light flash and locks activate your are all done.

When I did mine, everything went to plan after one attempt. However, I have read examples where people have had to do it more than once. If locks fail to cycle after your have completed the above more than 3 times, your probably have in issue in that you have the wrong model number fob, or it is operating on the wrong frequency.

Good luck.

Nels, Chunkylover53 and Ichiban like this.
  10. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    @boincuk really appreciate that,I'll get a remote from eBay and take it from there.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  12. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    Will this one do?

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Rob S - Open up your old keyfob and get the part number and buy the fob with the same code.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

15. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    @Chunkylover53 , if i had one I could :Wink: I only have the fixed blade single key :Frown:

16. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    If you are going to do it blind, go for a G8D-452H-A

Rob S likes this.
  17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As @boincuk says, you should be fine with 452H - just make sure the seller has a decent returns policy should it not work.

Rob S likes this.
  18. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    Will this one do?

Sorry, missed this post - they are both only 2 fob remotes and neither stipulates what model they are. You could try a 3 button remote (third button is for the boot) - but ensure you get one with the model number G8D-452H-A (although there is no way I can guarantee that this model will actually work on your car). Your best bet is to try your local Honda dealer as mentioned above - they may be forthcoming with the info you need - otherwise you could chase around for the correct fob and waste a lot of time, effort and money !

Attached Files:

Rob S likes this.
  19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thosw numbers sewm to be correct for your car, however I will like to add that to set the car into programming mode you have to turn the ignition and press the lock button 4 times.

Also have you also tried looking in the local scrap yards, often cars come in with the keys and fobs still in them, that's how I managed to get a few. Also look in Civic, HR-V and earlier CR-V as well as any accord.

20. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    I have to take issue with you on this - it is 3 times as quoted in my earlier post.