Engine & Gearbox Removing diesel fuel rail.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Doc, Tuesday 9th Jul, 2013.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm looking at removing the intake manifold off my car to clean it which as some of you will know involves the removal of the fuel rail first. I'm planning on disconnecting the fuel rail at the injectors as this will also get the pipes out the way for access to the intake manifold nuts. My question is does the connection between the fuel pipes and the fuel injectors have seals/ o-rings which will need replacing when the pipes are removed?

I've looked on Lings but it doesn't show any seals which surprises me.

2. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No mate. The seal is made from the shape of the ends of the metal pipes and their corresponding receptacle forced together by the union nut. Similar to brake pipe fittings. They normally go back together with no problems at all.
    hth Sid.

Doc and Ichiban like this.
  3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Thanks for that.

I was thinking if they didn't have seals in them they might be similar to brake pipes with the flared ends. The fact they go back together with few problems makes me happier.

All I'll need then is a new intake manifold gasket.

4. Rmachines Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They are a compression fitting, similar to brake pipes. officially you should never re-use them but I have many times and never had a leak yet.

5. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    The recommended thightening torque for the (metal sealed) high pressure rail fitting is only 27 Nm (swivel nut). In any case, after reassembly you should make a short leak test (engine run) to check that the connection is 100% tight !!!

Attached Files:

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers for that ACC you've saved me a job trying to find that out. I was planing on also putting indicator marks on the joints to ensure they were at least tightened back to their original torques. Once I've got it back together I was planning on a rather extensive leak test. I'd rather take my time and check it 2 or 3 times to be completely sure.

Anyone know the torque settings on the intake manifold?