Exhaust System Removing exhaust manifold heat shield.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by scotsgent, Thursday 25th Aug, 2016.

1. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Terry Fort William
    I asked a question a few days ago about the location of the EGR pipe (the one that can crack). No replies, so it seems no one knows?

I have continued to investigate and assume its under the large manifold alloy heat shield.

Can this be removed without removing the oxygen sensor? (I have tried, but it is just to neat to come off (unless there is a trick?).

If the sensor has to be removed, does it need a special socket/spanner?

Cheers, Terry

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @Members can anyone help @scotsgent with his 2.2 I-DTEC Accord Tourer. He posted about his issue earlier but didn't get any replies: EGR Pipe location? (Exhaust System - )

@scotsgent it will help if you add your car to the club garage so you don't have to explain each time what car have you got. IMO it looks like your can take the shield off without removing the sensor. Lets see what others have to say.

E__3400.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The image is there mate in that TSB.

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would have thought that the heat shield was designed to be removed without anything else having to be removed.
    I know from experience that my HR-V was basically 3 bolts which you undid and the thing came off.
    I don't think Honda designers would be that stupid to design something any more difficult to remove.

7. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It LOOKS as if it should come off yet even after removing the 4 retaining bolts it won't come off.

It ALMOST does but whichever way it is twisted it catches on the lambda sensor.

I agree that Honda thinks things through and so I wondered if anyone else has actually removed it.

Sorry about any misunderstanding about the EGR pipe location! In truth I couldn't quite sort the image in my mind - I can now, thanks!

With further investigation I can see that there is a sooty stain around the left-hand end of the exhaust manifold - I now wonder if the noise (which does sound like a slightly blowing exhaust) is perhaps a leak from the exhaust manifold gasket but I need to remove the heat shield in order to examine further.

I see that there is in fact a lambda tool which can be had from Ebay for removing the sensor, though I am told they are often tight and I would hate to break it!

Thanks for all the help so far and again I apologise for any misunderstanding which might have made me appear ungrateful!

Cheers, Terry

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not a diesel man so not too sure can you possibly take a photograph and post it up.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm surprised the diesel has a lambda sensor?

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    :Thumbup:

does this "lambda sensor" definitely have wires attached ?
    or is it like number 5 and 6 in the diagram in #2 ....a stud ?

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

12. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

here are a couple of pictures:

Lambda sensor: honda lamda.

Heat shield showing position of sensor going through hole in shield: lambda 2.

In fact, I have just perused my service manual CD. Seems that the process of getting to the exhaust manifold is to first remove the sensor and then the heat shield.

So, I will order up the ebay tool which is basically a deep socket with a slot cut into the side to accommodate the wire. They go for around £6

Cheers, Terry

MickyB likes this.
  13. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

strictly speaking, it's an AFR sensor, which is not the same thing as a lambda sensor

but it does seem that you'll have to remove it ?

CW3_manifold_turbo.

Last edited: Thursday 25th Aug, 2016
    vincemince likes this.
  14. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I stand corrected.

That's a good diagram since it also shows better the position of the EGR pipe (which might also be the source of my noise. Thanks!

Cheers, Terry

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda removal tool 07LAA-PT50101 in situ

CW3_AFR_removal.

vincemince likes this.
  16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The sly so and so's make it like that so you have to buy the tool from them!!!

vincemince and jimjams like this.
  17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So it doesn't take the standard 22mm tool for regular lambda sensors then?

18. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In my service CD its described as "22 x 90 L".

On ebay, it seems it is the standard 22mm long reach type. From £6.

There is another type (a sort of crows foot affair). This might work but seems to have a shorter reach and might not fit into the shield? so the long reach type (same as the type above) is what I have ordered.

Cheers, Terry

19. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Each to there own but I don't remove the heat shield when replacing those pesky EGR pipes. Done loads of em.

20. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm sure you are right beefy, but the reason for removing the heat shield is that as mentioned above, I have some evidence of 'soot stains' around the edge of the exhaust manifold, I can glimpse this under the loosened heat shield but need to remove it to get a proper look.

I have a noise a little like a lightly blowing exhaust and currently I am just tackling any likely candidates. If the exhaust manifold gasket seems OK I will then attempt to look at the EGR pipe.

I have a few weeks left before the 7 year extended warranty on the EGR pipe expires so I need to check it out soonish.

There are no fault codes.

Cheers, Terry