ICE & HFT Removing the Navi unit

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by cwall22, Tuesday 3rd Nov, 2015.

1. cwall22 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Chris telford
    Hi guys,

I have just bought a UK Accord 2.2 ICTDI 04 plate and it has all the kit including the navi unit, but it didn't come with the dvd for the maps.
    i have tried putting in a film dvd and seeing if that played which it didn't so i'm wondering if it can actually play DVD films or not, or is the DVD rom drove broken.
    Another option would be to replace the whole stereo, but i'm wondering how i can control the heater/A/C?
    Standard sat nav units tend to be a bit rubbish from experience so i'm not too bothered about getting it working, so i wouldn't mind buying a standard stereo and getting an aftermarket headunit where the DVD rom is.

Basically i'm very new to this car so any help would be greatly appreciated smile.

2. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    The navi DVD won't play normal DVD's. Will only read the sat nav disc as far as I know. (Mine certainly didn't anyway)

If you want to change to a double din unit you will need to purchase a connects2/metra fascia adapter these are fairly expensive around the £180 mark partly due to the fact that they integrate the air con/heater controls into them

3. cwall22 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Chris telford
    ahh ok, well i have removed the io play 2 out of my Astra H, so i will prob put that in, just wondering if there is anything i can do to the screen to make it display anything other than the message saying i have no map disc in?
    What would happen if i unplugged the dvd rom would i just continue to get the error message ?

4. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not really i don't think, obv the double din you fit will go in place of where your current screen is.

If you unplug the DVD reader you will probably not get the error message, but you may get another one lol you can display the audio options on the screen or air con but when the maps aren't in use the screen goes into sleep mode after a few seconds so you just get a blank screen

5. cwall22 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Chris telford
    Yeah i did notice that, which is a bit disappointing, its better if it stays on IMO, i may just buy a map disk just to have the maps on and no error message.
    How do i change the clock time? i can switch from 12h to 24h but not change the actual time.
    and is there any settings you can change either in car or from the obd2 port with maybe a cheap version of the Honda scanning tool. for example i used Opcom on my Astra to turn on the cruise control when i retrofitted it.
    I'm looking to have the lights turn on when i unlock the car.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The clock relies on the Sat Nav system, so it needs a DVD to initialise the Sat Nav system so that it can set the time.

Alternatively if you disconnect the battery at midnight that will do the job of setting the clock.

7. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't think you can change the clock time without the sat nav working as its in one of the options.
    Just be careful about buying a new disc as there is a known issue with the DVD reader where the laser stops working properly and needs to be cleaned, no point forking out for a disc then finding your unit doesn't work lol
    Can't help you with other bits unfortunately

8. cwall22 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Chris telford
    Yeah i heard that it was a common problem and also is there something about using the correct version of maps for your model or can i just use the latest ?
    I might burn a copy to see if it will work in the dvd rom before spending silly money on a disc,

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately a lot of the on-board systems to do with the stereo rely on you having a disc in the dvd unit. And has been said there is a known issue with the dvd roms. Its not a cheap fix at £140 but it is kind of worth it IMHO. Mine failed and I had to have the laser replaced but the sat nav isn't that bad and I have used it a few times with no problems. The biggest being the latest map avail bale is 2011 and a lot has changed since then. and if I am critical by todays standards the visual graphics are quite poor. But that's only compared to todays standards.

If you copy a disc as a back up or just to try you cannot do just a copy dvd option in windows you need to create a disc image. I cannot quite remember the exact process but its not straight forward. Sure there is a post on here about it. A genuine disc from Honda is near on a couple of hundred pounds, so to be honest I would try a back up copy first to see how it goes.

I run a back up copy all the time now.

10. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As you have a 2004 car, you will need the V2 discs.... the most up to date version is V2.11 which is for 2011... sadly that was the last time it was updated and there won't be any more... Which is annoying as it means they're only supported for 5yrs after manufacturer as they changed to V3 discs in 2006.

You can find them if you do a search and prices can be a little on the high side... to be honest it's not worth buying a disc if it's not V2.11.

There are some dodgy sellers out there and websites claiming to sell dvd map discs for almost any make/model. I bought one such map that was supposed to be original... but was a simple copy... I paid about £38 but got a refund as I threatened to go to trading standards/police for the fraudulent sale... and the refunded very, very quickly.

That said... the disc does work... it's just very slow when you start it up... can take 10 seconds for the OK button to come up or it can take several minutes... I think that's something to do with aligning itself with satellite signals or something. I've not yet had the fatal error reading the disc but if/when I do... I'll be replacing the entire unit with an after market one rather than repair... One with more recent maps that can still be updated... or something that will mirror the screen on my phone perhaps.

11. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I run a V2.11 disc in mine which is ok. But to be honest if I get stuck... google maps navigation is unbeatable. Its up to date, clear guidance quick to respond and always in my pocket as an app on my phone. Only issue is it doesn't interface with Hondas on board electronics..

Heckler likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You mean like this :-
    51682_2013-02-26_18.03.28-1.

legend-ary and Heckler like this.
  13. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Does the grom audio kit allow that @SpeedyGee because I was thinking of getting one in the new year... saving up my amazon vouchers from my birthday and the ones I'll be getting for xmas. :Smile:

15. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ahhhh I want I want show us please :Smile:
    bet its not that straight forward!

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Lol.

Have a read here CarPC install but I had lots of gubbins already in the car that I had in their previously for the Car PC.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I think it does but I haven't looked into that. Nothing was available when I first installed a CarPC in my other CL9 back in 08 I think which is why I went down this route.

17. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I was going to fit a car PC into one of my old MX6's back around 2006-2008... A friend had done it, built it into a little metal flight case mounted to the back of the rear seat... then one of those single din fold out touch screens so it all fitted and looked OEM... then another MX6 member modified the dash and fitted a double din sized screen. I had most of the parts, a 100GB 2.5" drive, ITX board and most other bits... Just needed to purchase a kit to supply power and the screen... and then the whole project came to a halt due to some deaths in the family in 07 and I sold of the parts and bought a tomtom 910 which had a 20gb hard drive in it for music and maps of Western Europe, North America and so forth.... then I got a car with built in satnav and so never considered doing something like it again.

In fact I've still got the tomtom 910 in perfect working order, although the maps are a little out of date now as I last updated them in 2011 not long before I replaced my MX6... Might sell that and a few other PC parts to help fund the grom audio purchase... I know that will work with the phone I have (MotoG 2nd Generation) and allow me to control music from the steering wheel... If I could just mirror the phone screen on the dash screen... that would be good enough for now I think. The trick is making sure you have power to charge the phone too.

I've also got a tesco hudl here that I never use anymore and that has a mini hdmi output and a 32gb microSD card... so that could also be a potential device to mirror... it's only kitkat 4.2.2 though and suffers from a lack of memory and power... but the hudl2 is a much better device and rather cheap these days.

Had a look through the thread in your sig about it... But last post was 2013... so I'll check out the new link (unless it's the same one).

I was going to just buy a grom kit with bluetooth... but now you've got me intrigued with displaying android... even if it means using the phone/tablet itself to set your destination and so forth.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That is the old link.

I've toyed with idea of fitting a mirror device into the car to give wireless mirroring of an android device. That would be quite funkyfunky.

19. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'd happily wire something up (well... I say wire up... what I mean is have someone else do all the wiring and then I just plug it all together) that provided power and so forth and could simply be hidden away in the armrest or glove box until you actually needed it... With just the screen mirrored and the grom device allowing use of audio from it and controlled from the steering controls.

Get to work millado.... I want one for xmas. :fingerscrossed: :hurryup: :Xmas: :Xmas: :Xmas:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  20. cwall22 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Chris telford
    I've bought a copied disc off a website, it says the disc can't be read, so i imagine the dvd drive is broken, is there an aftermarket stereo for the diesels, i know there wasnt because they mess about with the aircon, but the standard one is useless like this, and even if it did work i'd imagine the maps are pretty crap and way out of date.