General Renewals - ALWAYS query them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerH69, Monday 18th Jan, 2016.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I got my renewal letter from RAC today, and they said my renewal will cost £181. I did a quick comparison and Greenflag cost £135 for the same cover, for a new customer, whereas RAC is supposed to give me renewal discount for no callouts in the year (I had none).

While waiting on hold to speak to someone at RAC to cancel my membership, they said something along the lines of RAC being your first and only contact in an accident and they will come out to you etc.... Funny that seeing as when I had the accident in my Audi, they said -
    1 - It would cost me £200 to tow the car back to home (because it was an accident and not a breakdown)
    2 - I had to wait 6 hours to get a tow truck out as it was really busy
    I called my insurance and they sent someone from Greenflag within 40 minutes....

Anyways, After telling them I wanted to cancel, they asked why, and I told them, and they said 'let's see what we can do'. Less than a minute later, they say they can renew my policy for £115, and as a goodwill gesture, renew it for 15 months, instead of 12.

Really? They just 'found' 36% discount that quickly ?

So, yeah - ALWAYS challenge them on automatic renewal prices.

2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If this is brake down cover youve renewed, then I'm with GEM. I think (I could be wrong as the wife does it) its £90 for me and the wife on both our cars. With car insurance I have to do a fresh online quite again as the auto renewals are always about £150 more. My insurance is due at the end of Feb so well see what Sheila has to say.

3. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I've been with RAC for several years, "recovery" policy (home start not included). When I first got the policy, it was from a chap outside a supermarket, for £55.
    I remember that amount because it was ceap, but I can't remember the exact figures for each renewal thereafter. But the renewal went something like ....
    First renewal was £55, next year it went up to £80, next year £120, then last time it was going to be £155 (or something daft like that).
    I called them and asked why it was so much, especially as I had never had to call them out, and all I really needed was something to get the car off a motorway in the event of breakdown or minor shunt.
    To cut the story short (it was a long conversation with a lot of bartering, including telling them that I'd switched to RAC because I was fed up with AA doing this) ....I got it for £65

Bones126 likes this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Standard procedure to be honest, breakdown cover is actually insurance and underwritten by such, so prices go up like car insurance and you have to negotiate it. I'm with AA and my renewal this year was like £145, negotiated down to £110 for roadside and relay, which is still very expensive, but I have silver membership and on top of that AA have more patrols and unlimited call outs, so prefer them over others.

5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I think that RAC "recovery" is same as AA roadside + relay.
    I was extremely close to cancelling with them when they finally came up with £65 ....as close as the gap between the letters HK

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    £65 is a bargain, roughly how much I paid last year as I used to just have roadside and AA offered me relay for a tenner, so went with the offer, now I'm paying nearly full price for it :no: to be honest we don't even need breakdown cover, we drive :gohonda::sparta:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So these offer prices... do they oblige you to make a renewal in the following year ?

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

You're welcome to cancel your renewal, and if you challenge them and they offer you a better price, you still have 14 days to cancel and get refund (at least for RAC that's true)

exec likes this.
  9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Isn't it worth taking your car in to a Honda dealer for a small fixed price service and asking for the complimentary 12 months Honda assist cover to be put on your vehicle???

RogerH69 likes this.
  10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do you have to ask for it or does it apply automatically?
    My car have full Honda service history and MOTbut nobody ever mentioned any cover or similar.

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I've not got a Honda I always cancel my policy with the AA come renewal time (usually around £70) and the day it runs out I go down to Sainsburys and take out a new policy with the man standing in the doorway for £35.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just ask for it.

exec likes this.
  12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh i see,I'll ask for it next time.

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@SpeedyGee - just re-read your query, and assuming I accept the renewal, I am NOT obliged to renew the following year.

14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I was with the AA for years, and then when I had specialst insurance cover through Adrian Flux I took out their full breakdown cover (inc European cover) for about £40 (later it rose to £52). I used it once over 4-5yrs.

Then as a gift my folks started giving me AA cover (because I use my car so much to transport my disabled dad around), but the price of the was getting ridiculous... they wanted well over £100 for basic breakdown and recovery home.

So I went online, did some searches and got my cover through AXA, which includes full cover, breakdown, recover, hotel stays, hire car, onward journey and legal protection for under £60.

It pays to shop around.

exec likes this.