Body, Paint & Styling Repainting sports grille

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by i-DSI, Friday 28th Nov, 2014.

1. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Does anybody have experience with repainting a sports grille for Accord 8th Generation?
    I found one, but it's not the correct color (it's a black one) didn't buy yet, want to be sure first:
    - according to seller can be easily separated in 2 parts so no tape needed for repainting
    - price for repainting in paint shop approximately 80 euros (also according to seller)
    - according to seller only light sanding is needed for repainting

Anybody out here with experience?

Thanks!

Racy Jace likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    80 Euro is a good price provided its painted in a booth and all the prep is right buddy. Depending on the condition of the grill you will have light sanding small amount of filler here and there and you are done for base coat and then clear.

i-DSI likes this.
  3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    With a booth you mean a spray cabin, right?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    All right, next step is to contact myself the body shop where he says it can be done for 80 euro's. Once that confirmed, I'm going to make an offer!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Most of the spray places are very good.
    I got my HR-V bumper resprayed from Red to Sunburst Yellow had the bonnet resprayed and the wings rematched.
    And the results were perfect all for, well he wanted £180 buthedidnt complete all the work He said he would do(this was after my wife's accident) so after some bartering I walked away £60 less but £120 in my pocket to buy the parts I needed to repair the car.
    If you ask the guys who attended the Dad Needs A Tin of Beans event recently who saw the car they will vouch for the work done.

I did spray some parts myself, getting the spray from EBay but you need to be very careful and you need good weather and a steady hand.

So maybe leave it to the experts.if you are not to good with that type of thing.

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I bought her this week!
    There are some flaws which I saw before buying/paying, but couldn't say no:
    The 'H' should come with 2 lock nuts: missing lock nuts and the little supports that go in the nuts are broken: will need glue to fix the H after painting.
    Believe there should be 2 screws that go into left and right side: missing also.
    Price I payed: 125 euro. My wife says it's far to expensive 'for a piece of plastic'. But, yeah, what do I say? Boys and their toys...
    Looking for a body shop that can do the painting now.
    DSC_0018.JPG

DeviateDefiant and MickyB like this.
  9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Unexpected, ubelievable, but today I found a very good body shop near my door who want to spray for 50 euro's !!!
    Knowing that, also today, the first body shop I visited wanted 175 euro's for the same job.
    So grill is at bodyshop, colors will be compared with car once they have the 'cards'. I need to pass by once to compare with my car and than they can spray.

FirstHonda and MickyB like this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's great news. Sounds like you'll have your grill before Christmas. :OTT:

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yes! Today I passed by again to 'pick' the color... If they give in Buran silver color code, you can still chose out of 3 different tones. I picked out myself the one that looked like a perfect match. The differences were really small.

Nels likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Look forward to seeing it on your car once it is all painted

13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Today I collected the repainted grill. Will mount it around end March/begin April. Looks very good, really like it.
    DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0011.JPG

DeviateDefiant and Nels like this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brill it will make the car look way better. All Non ADAS cars should have come with that grill as standard personally.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yeah, the chrome bars look a bit 'old fashioned', to much 'Opel Insignia' or 'Mercedes'. This one looks fresh, young, sporty. Really fits the car.