Replacement for CR-V EX SatNav system

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by GSO, Friday 3rd Oct, 2014.

1. GSO New Member Getting Started

GSO England
    I have just joined the community because I am looking for advise. I have a 2010CRV EX and when Honda sent me a postcard offering a reduction to update the maps on the SatNav, I decided to invest the £145 plus £5 postage to update.
    Unfortunately after removing the old disk and inserting the new one the installation failed. It displays the message "Please check your disc". The Close button on the screen doesn't work now either, it just bleeps.
    The garage thinks its a problem that could have always been there but only appeared because it was the first time we has ejected the disc, but it's out of warranty!
    I am going to send it back to Alpine to look at it but I am frightened that the cost to replace will be too high!
    Has anyone replaced the system with a better but cheaper system?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @GSO. I've not heard about that problem before. Did the error message appear straight away, or did the new disc start to load the updates? Do you have a disc a version 3.xx? The newest voice activated one is 3.7 or 3.8. If it is a 2.x, it's the wrong one.

3. GSO New Member Getting Started

GSO England
    Hi thanks you Nels for the response. The SatNav does have voice activation not sure the model it says NDA > AE when you open the cover of the DVD drive.
    The old maps disks were ver 3.4 and the new ones are 3.8 2013 - 2014.
    The first message is Please wait for installation to download, then after 30secs it says check the discs. The other strange thing is that when the disk is ejected, the green light on the DVD drive remains lit.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good news, you've got the right disc. Is the disc surface completely clean?
    Usually, when a new disc is inserted, it takes a few minutes for the updated program to load. Have you tried cleaning the DVD lens?
    Does the error message repeat each time now, or is the system stuck?
    When the other CR-V owners sign in, maybe one of them can advise more.

(Note to @Zoran, 3.8)

GSO likes this.
  5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Probably a stupid question but have you made sure you've closed the cover for the SatNav DVD disc before pressing the close button?

6. GSO New Member Getting Started

GSO England
    We have tried cleaning the lens with a cleaning disc. We have cleaned both old & new disks.
    The system tries to load the software every time we turn ignition on and then the check disc message stays permanently on the screen, preventing anything else to work properly, except the HFT and the reversing camera on the screen.
    The cover of the DVD is closed and Honda have put their laptop to the car and can not reset it, so their only suggestion is to sent it to Alpine. There is now a huge hole in my dash where the system sat and a very unhappy me!
    I am wondering if there is a better system I can have installed!

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sounds serious, hope it gets fixed!

GSO likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The DVD reader or unit could have developed a fault, though this doesn't usually happen after only 4 years. Both can be repaired/replaced by Alpine.
    There are probably some alternative units from China, but I wouldn't use them. See what Alpine can do first.

GSO likes this.
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I was literally looking at an alternative unit on Ebay (came across it when looking up the Navigation discs) which used an SSD drive for the navigation. Could play DVD movies and even pick up TV! lol

I can't remember but there were one or two things that worried me, I think the compatibility with the voice commands, compatibility with the car's amps etc and also the reversing camera compatibility. Also I think the USB connection coming out of the rear and having to be fed through the glove box or something. As much as I would like a more modern navigation unit I don't really use SatNav enough to justify it, don't sit in my car enough to watch films/tv and I love the PCCARD part of my OEM unit.

For £299 it's tempting but then that's money that can go towards a good remap. If my current unit broke then I'd probably swap for one of these rather than get an OEM replacement but I think common sense says stick with what's in there!

10. GSO New Member Getting Started

GSO England
    Arcticfire & Nels, thank you for that. Its on it's way to Alpine.
    Arcticfire, the current box has a USB connection for iPods that is already in the glovebox, so I assume the one in China uses that wiring, I might be back asking about it if Alpine says it needs a new unit.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hang on a minute, you mean my car has a USB connection for the stereo in the glove box?

12. GSO New Member Getting Started

GSO England
    My car is a CR-V 2010 EX and has two compartments the standard glove box and a slimmer one above, in which there is a USB port to connect an IPod to. It's handy to charge my iphone whilst playing my music too. Or should I say when my SatNav worked, it would only charge the phone whilst "check Disc" message is there,

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'll have to check mine, never even knew about it lol

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I updated to v3.8 earlier today, did you turn off the engine at all during the firmware update process? I have heard of issues with the updates before which require another manual download before the system will work again correctly. Off-hand I believe it's the "Menu" + "Map" + "Return" buttons held in together to initiate.

15. GSO New Member Getting Started

GSO England
    We didn't turn the engine off durning the software update. I was told to hold Menu and zoom down together for 2 sec to get the system menu but that didn't work. The Honda garage had a go but couldn't force it. It's on it's way to Alpine now, so I have to wait for their response now!

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    No worries, hope that the issue is resolved without much cost :Smile:

GSO likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have read of this ICE & HFT - Sat Nav DVD Disc Error • Honda Karma LOL this thread makes me laugh .. Sorry seen this so many times its criminal to see so many fall for this.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I haven't got that USB port, perhaps it was introduced along with the dtec?

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @GSO what was the outcome did you send your sat nav to alpine or you fixed the problem yourself?

20. Siva R Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Siva Cambridge
    Hi GSO, Did you manage to replace the OEM sat nav on your 2010 CR-V? If yes, would love to hear from you!

I started a thread on the same issue the other day......http://hondakarma.com/threads/3rd-generation-CR-V-oem-sat-nav-wiring-diagram.20806/live

Hope someone would provide us with the necessary lead. As I mentioned in my thread, the OEM sat nav unit on 2007/8/9 Ex models is different to that of the OEM sat nav unit on 2010/11/12 (3rd Generation facelifted) Ex models. The differences can be seen on the back connectors.

I managed to replace the OEM sat nav unit on a 2008 CR-V with a use of an ISO lead. I bought a Kenwood unit. All worked OK.

However, this time, on my 2012 model, could not say the same.....as I am still looking for leads to connect with the OEM wiring loom.

I was looking at this unit to replace the OEM one....

The only trouble with these units are that they are specifically designed to replace the non-sat nav systems i.e. the Radio/CD Player/Changer systems. It would be just plug and play connections on 3 rd Gen CR-Vs that came without the sat nav unit except for the installation of the GPS antenna.

Knocked on the right places so far for clues on the wiring diagram but to no avail.

Please let me know how you got on with your project!