General Replacement Honda Immobiliser Remote

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheGreatDane, Tuesday 8th Mar, 2016.

1. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andreas A Leeds
    Hi there,

I recently bought a very nice 7th Generation Civic, which came with two remotes that I need to use to disable the immobiliser, separate from the key fob.
    The car is lovely, but these remotes are doing my head in. One definitely doesn't work, and the other work's when it wants to, which has led to me sitting in the car clicking the fob for 5 minutes straight at slightly different angles. This is a very tedious process. The dealer I bought it from said he can't get new ones, so the best he could do would be to disable it entirely, but I am aware that this might change my insurance policy, so I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Anyone know if and where I might be able to find one of these? And potentially a price?
    See the picture attached.

20160308_080918.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not seen that kind of Honda keyfob before :Blink:

Look on ebay. Programming the keyfobs is really easy.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have seen that remote do you have one of those Honda super duper alarm system that was fitted to your car.

4. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be honest I am not sure what kind it is. The other remote does still have text at the bottom saying 'Security System'. Basically the engine won't start until you unlock it with the above fob.

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Agree with above posts. This is not a regular Honda remote and might be something special.
    There is a listing for a refurb kit for this remote

and I am pretty sure when I was looking for my Yaris remote there were listings on eBay for remote refurbishment services who you mail your remote to and they will replace the case and the touch buttons on the PCB with new items. might be worth checking

Ichiban likes this.
  6. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Annoyingly, I know the battery was changed on the remotes prior to me buying the car.. That being said, I don't think changing the casing will change anything. I'm afraid something has gone wrong on the actual circuitboard inside the fob.

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

That listing was just posted as confirmation that these remotes do exist and are mostly known to be used in S2000 and Type-Rs. As I said, you can contact one of these remote refurb companies who 'repair' remotes including PCB and buttons and see if they can help you out.

here is one listing, it is for a different remote but you can show them pics of yours and ask if they can help.

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Someone must have paid a lot of money to secure a Civic! :Blink:

9. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have now sent an email to the guys offering the repairs in the Ebay link above. No reply so far. It baffles me why this car would have this remote immobiliser

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Ichiban. Any idea where I might be able to get a new remote for it?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dealers if eBay does not come up trumps I don't dealers will be that expensive.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I would be tempted to get rid of it all and have standard alarm retrofitted, nothing worse than getting stranded somewhere because OTT immobiliser doesn't unset.

14. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any idea how much it would set me back to get a standard alarm fitted? Also you guys seem to think this wasn't a factory installed alarm, in which case there should be a receipt for it somewhere...

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I would imagine it was installed as an option by the supplying dealer. See if you can find details in the back of your owner's manual or service book. My EU8 had an optional bodykit fitted by dealer. Each item and part number was listed in the back of the book individually so check yours out.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It will be genuine alarm, as Ichiban mentioned above the ultrasonic alarm was optional extra and the fob has Honda engraved on it too.

Not sure how much it would could to have it replaced I would imagine £100+ onwards for parts and labour.

17. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sorry to hear about your alarm issues.

I would highly recommend removing the whole system and getting a new system fitted. Installing a new OEM system would cost an arm and a leg so the only option would be a good branded after market system.
    As exec mentioned - there is a high risk of being stranded and keyfob failing to disarm the immobilizer.

The best option would be to remove the current system and install an after market alarm system
    Either a Clifford or Toad system

I have a toad AI606 fitted to my Prelude early last year - it had a GT auto alarm system in there (whom no longer exists) and it started playing up. Sometimes the car would cut out randomly due to the immobilize and sometimes it would fail to disarm it and i would have to sit there to arm and disarm several times to get the engine started.

Although it lasted 5 years in my ownership, I didn't want to take any more chances so got it removed and after lots of research I replaced with a toad AI606.
    I did have a Clifford alarm installed in one of my previous cars many years ago but the Toad one was alot cheaper.

Toad AI606 probably one of the most reliable after market alarm systems out there.

I used this guy to install it. Highly recommended. He knows Hondas pretty well and he said Honda electrics are a pleasure to work with.
    He did the whole job, remove and replace in under 3 hours, removed all panel trim and neatly cut all wires whilst hiding the unit very well.
    He tested all sub circuits too. Great guy, not sure he will travel to Leeds but worth asking or if he knows any installers in your area that can help

After it was installed i managed to sell the old system on ebay for £70 as spares and repairs :Smile:

Rakesh(R&D Electrics)
    Mob 07739540000
    rakesh6466@sky.com

Hope it helps.

legend-ary, TheGreatDane and exec like this.
  18. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for the replies so far.
    For a car I paid £2100 for, £250 is a pretty big deal. Damn.
    I was hoping this would be an easier fix.
    The situation I guess is:
    - The current immobiliser does work for the most part, but has troubles disabling now and then. As was mentioned, I could risk being stranded somewhere.
    - The dealer has offered to disable it, but I am not sure if the immobiliser is separate from the alarm (I think so as I have my normal fob to unlock the doors). Regardless I might be looking at some troubles with the car insurance (an increase because a security feature has been disabled)
    - I have it replaced entirely, but it's going to set me back a substantial amount. Enough that I might need to consider taking this to the dealer to get a potential refund or see what else can be done.

I am at my wit's end what to do about this to be honest.

19. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think in your current situation i would disable the immobilizer for now. This will give your peace of mind and reliability needed for the car.
    This will then allow time to save up to get the alarm removed and replaced.
    I would also approach the dealer you bought the car from, they should have declared this issue when the car was sold to you but then "sold as seen" springs to mind. Some dealers however can be really helpful. No harm in trying i guess.

exec likes this.
  20. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right so I got a reply back from the above eBay seller repairing keys and fobs, and he told me to send it to him and he would figure out if he could repair it, which would be around £30, so I am going to try that route first and hopefully get back a fully functional fob.

Accord_N22 and legend-ary like this.