Fuel Efficiency Replacement injector coded, still idling rough poor mpg.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by blackbeard, Thursday 20th Aug, 2015.

1. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    Had my car down to Bexhill Honda today for injector coding, the mechanic noted that the idling was rough (like I hadn't noticed ) , and was so apologetic that it did not cure it, after he coded the replacement injector.

The diagnostic system found no faults at all, despite the air con clutch, or fans not working and this rough idling , I don't really seem to get much to the gallon I have just got about 64 mls of 1.96 gls. which for a diesel and the roads speeds I drive on , is pretty dire.

All new Honda fluids and filters everywhere, correct oil, I only use shell diesel ,leakback tested ,replaced faulty fuel rail and one injector, no binding brakes. All that can be de-gunked on the intake side done, upgraded exhaust manifold fitted and not blowing.

I have read about a Honda ECU update to address injector over fuelling I don't know if this is accurate or not , but as the car was fully serviced by Honda until 2011 110 k MLS is it reasonable to expect it to have been done as part of an ongoing service procedure ?

When I mentioned this to the mechanic, firstly he had not been aware of it, he then checked for a software update and there was one , but he could not say what it was in relation to ,as it does not specify.It's just listed as DIESEL in the menu.

Can anyone tell me when datewise this overfuelling problem was first recognised an solution offfered by Honda , and of any other software updates that have been issued by them for the diesel, in relation to anything else that may be showing on the diagnostic machine.

Any suggestions for anything else to be checked by myself , gratefully received.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It would be interesting to see an accurate MPG figure calculated from the actual mileage obtained from a full tank.

After coding, was the HDS injector test run to assess how the ECU is adjusting fuel quantities? So long as these are all in the +/-5mg range then the injectors must be producing balanced outputs... this is a useful test. But hopefully all HDS tests were run?

3. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    I would like to think any test/s to confirm correct functioning of the injector were made at the time, but cannot confirm.Will be going back Collins Honda Bexhill next week, to get this mystery ECU update installed.
    This is rural Kent Zebster, if anyone got a sniff of full tank of diesel the tank would be full of holes overnight :lol: but of course you are right, a couple of full tanks at least then average for accuracy is the way to go.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Apologies, I was trying to post a picture showing the range of available HDS tests, but the quality is too bad. See if they'll tell you what tests they run?

We here in rural Shropshire imagine Kent to be full of people far too wealthy to contemplate fuel theft!

5. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    They don't, they send their " little men " out at night to collect it , this is how the wealth illusion is maintained :Wink: