Electrical & Lights Replacement key fob

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by gouldy68, Saturday 4th Aug, 2012.

1. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finally got my hands on my tourer yesterday (by 'eck, it were filthy!) the previous owner had not cared for the car very well and it shows.

I've got a few minor dings to get straightened out (if anyone knows anyone in the Oxfordshire area who could take care of this?), however, the key fobs are in desperate need of attention. The buttons are faded a little and one of the keys is missing the metal loop for key rings and the screw that holds the fob together.

I don't fancy paying over the odds for a replacement key direct from honda, just wondered if anyone knew of anywhere I could get my hands on a replacement shell.

Also, Ichiban, the leather steering wheel and gaiter you have on your motor look top drawer. Can these be retro fitted and where can I look at prices?

Cheers, Andy.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Andy have a look at the cutaway to the image attached tell me which parts you want to replace , it clear to see the top cover and lower cover can be bought separately which negates the need for coding the key.

8th Gen key.JPG
    On my 2013 Accord it has the driving position memory system

The seat will change to it's programmed position (1 or 2) depending on which keyless remote (1 or 2) is being used to unlock the doors.

photo.

I don't think you have this feature on the prefacelift cars but you want to aware of it.

As sport steering and leather gaiter then can be fitted on to your car I will be posting the DIY guides soon.

3. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it looks like parts 6 and 8. Really, its just the metal loop at the base of the key that you'd attach a key ring to. It's missing from on of the keys. The buttons look a little worn and the switch blade operation on the key isn't as slick as I would expect, but I can live with it.

Are the buttons available as a separate part?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Buttons are not sold separate but if you find a donor with good buttons it can be swapped out , what you will need for the loop is the top cover. you will need 8 & 5.

5. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What a dork! Too a trip to the local dealers today to be told that parts and service were closed. Of course they are, it's bloody Sunday!

Will have to leave the bits and bobs for the morrow.

On another note, anyone know if there is a search function for the iPod connectivity?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    hahah

Ipod connectivity don't get you? select mode to aux and you should see your ipod.

7. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The iPod is working fine. I was jut wondering if there was anyway of searching for an artist or album rather than having to start from 'a' each time.

By the way, your pics of your leather gaiter and steering wheel have made me v. jealous. Combined birthday and crimbo pressie methinks!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What version of iPod do you have ? The sports steering is superb the feel and hand position is near perfect. I can't recommend enough best steering on a Honda Accord . The leather gaiter just completes the entire leather transformation and with the white sticking it subtle contrast.

9. gouldy68 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was my mum's old 80gb iPod. Will have a go with my own iPhone 4s or nano when I get home and get some music on it. Will the age of the ipod make a difference?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    have you got the latest code on the iPod IIRC it is 1.13

11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

With your ipod connected, just use the select rotary knob to cycle through, albums, artists, songs etc, press the button to select one and drill down to specific songs. I find playlists work best in cars,,just make several,different ones to,suit your mood.

12. boabskidtec New Member Getting Started

replacement keys

Hey all,

I picked up my new 2009 I-DTEC late yesterday afternoon. I love the car already, I'll post some pics soon.

One of the very few negatives with the car is the key fob, most of the chrome has worn off the lock/unlock buttons (yes little things like this really bug me). I'm guessing that the button section of the key fob is where all the codes are stored, is this correct?

So what are my options, a new key from honda how much would this cost?

Any other ideas are welcomed.

Cheers

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Re: replacement keys

your talking over £100 each and then getting it coded. all depends on how important it is to you realy. i take it you don't have a spare, just one key? if so you could do with a spare anyway. ide suggest get a new one and keep the worn key as your spare?

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine is also worn but it doesn't bother me too much.
    Not sure if you could just swap plastic housing and keep all the internals,wait for somebody to confirm this.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Might also be worth checking ebay for key buttons as well. Far cheaper than main dealer, especially as it will only get worn again.

16. boabskidtec New Member Getting Started

Zoran, I'm assuming the brains of the keyfob is the part with the buttons. This is the part with the battery I think.

I do have a spare key, but they are both as bad as each other

17. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

replacement keys

The electronics of the fob will all come out of the housing. Look for a blank key on eBay, get it cut and transfer the electronics.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Gents merging this thread with as the question had been asked ,please make an effort to search .

Welcome to AOC boabskidtec

19. takeslousyphotos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    Replacent shell for keyfobs are on Ebay for 2 - 3 pounds.

Peter

20. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've purchased an Accord and will be getting the car shortly, but it only comes with one heavily worn key.

I've been unable to find any examples of cases or parts blades for the same key (2 button from 8th Generation 2009 ES GT) for sale on ebay or through google.
    Here's the only pic i could find on the web of a key that looks the same:-
    (dead link removed by staff) (this site is selling x2 used keys)

I've contacted my local Honda dealer today to get a price for a new key (& cut) & programmed/coded to the car....

__KEY__

x1 key = £185 inc vat.
    x1 30mins labour for coding key = £45.
    TOTAL = £230 :Aghast:

Eye watering isn't it.

__RECODING__

I also asked about re-coding as there might be another key for this car out there somewhere (they remove the codes of the missing keys from the car system) - its free if done at the same time as coding the new key, otherwise 30 mins labour = £45.
    Another original set of keys would still be able to unlock the doors though, but not start the car or control the alarm.

__GENUINE CASE__

x1 top side case = £32.80
    x1 bottom side & blade = £91
    TOTAL = £124

Would still need to get the blade cut if i didn't swap the original.
    I don't think i'll be getting a new genuine case for the original key.

Really not impressed with the prices charged to a captive audience, so will be investigating other avenues (auto locksmiths).

Hope this info helps someone else.
    Cheers, Mark.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015