Optional Extras Replacement key fob?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Jables667, Friday 26th Feb, 2016.

1. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Hiya!

So, I turned 24 last week and, as is customary for someone past the age of 18, family and friends simply asked me what I wanted. I mostly asked for car parts and some help paying off the MOT work. There is one thing I want, and that's a remote central locking fob. My previous Accord had one, but with this one I was given one key only. I assume the car must've had one at some point? I am owner number five or six, so it being lost somewhere along the line wouldn't entirely surprise me.

Anyway, enough waffle. How would I go about getting a replacement? I've thought about going to my local Honda dealership, but I thought the sensible thing would be to ask you all first. I am also prepared for it to cost a lot. I imagine this sort of thing isn't particularly easy, since I had enough trouble re-initializing the key fob for my Citroen. Though on reflection, that might have been because it was a Citroen.

And finally, just because I'm so happy with it, below is the gift I got from my dear sister (dear yet misguided... She drives a Peugeot 206 and my Accord terrifies her) which she painted herself.

12524023_639918336173438_7804452711449873858_n.

Harvey, SpeedyGee and legend-ary like this.
  2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hey @Jables667 first of all happy belated birthday and secondly that is some epic painting! Walter must be so happy :Grin:
    regarding key fob.. this seems to be a hot topic these days.. You can easily buy replacement fobs off eBay for £20 but make sure you buy the correct part number as they look the same as for other models but have different part numbers.. which I am sure 6th Generation owners can supply you with after checking theirs. @exec @Harvey

There is a guide about pairing new remotes with your car however if I remember correctly they all require one working remote.. so maybe more knowledgeable members will be able to answer that one for you.

3. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Thank you very much, sir! My dear big sis will be pleased.

I had considered eBay, but I didn't think it'd be that simple? The initialization process will be much the same as the Citroen I assume, except the fob was part of the key. Insert key into ignition and turn on, then hold the lock button etc. It took a few attempts with no success, then one day it just started working for no reason. Again, I think that's probably because it was a Citroen. Nevertheless, I'll look into it. Thanks a lot, dude. That does put my mind at ease!

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

There you go:

Found the instructions on this thread by @boincuk : http://hondakarma.com/threads/remote-key-fob.12806/live

OK, there are 2 parts to syncing your new remote fob to your car, but firstly you need to be in the car with all the doors, windows and boot closed. To make life easier it helps to have the remote fob separate from your ignition key.

Part 1: This procedure needs to be repeated 3 times: Turn ignition on so that dashboard lights illuminate - press the lock button on your remote once - then turn ignition off straight away.

Part 2: Once you have turned ignition off for the 3rd time, stay in the car and press the lock button once. You should hear the locks "cycle". If that happens, remove ignition key, exit car, close door and use remote to lock car. If light flash and locks activate your are all done.

When I did mine, everything went to plan after one attempt. However, I have read examples where people have had to do it more than once. If locks fail to cycle after your have completed the above more than 3 times, your probably have in issue in that you have the wrong model number fob, or it is operating on the wrong frequency.

Good luck.

Nels and exec like this.
  5. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    That's perfect, man. You're an absolute star! Many thanks!

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

:Hey:Glad i could help

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The model number of the fob you need is G8D-452H-A, it is a 2 button remote (some have 3 for remote boot release, but this does not work with hatchback models that I know of though you can buy a 3 button model, the 3rd button won't work)
    They came on a number of Honda vehicles as a standard fob, my stash came from a variety of cars. So you can either scan Ebay for that part number or search for Civic, Jazz (1st Generation) S2000 (early models) Accord, CR-V and HR-V

On another note as well, some are also selling G8D-348H-A fobs, but I do not know if this will work with your car. The only thing I can suggest here is wait until @exec and @Chunkylover53 are on and they can check their part numbers.

CLICK HERE

exec likes this.
  8. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Thanks a lot, dude! I've had no luck finding the part number myself in the handbook, any of the booklets or online. Not that I'd know it if I found it, since I no longer have my old key fob to refer to. Figured it'd be best to just buy the fob that looks like my old one? Not entirely sure on that third button for the boot. My old Accord was a saloon and the fob had only two buttons as well. You could either open the boot with the key or use the lever next to the filler cap release. Still, it's not a deal breaker. It's one of those little luxuries I'm pretty happy to live without.

Between you and @legend-ary , I think that's me sorted. Many thanks, guys! It'll surely be a life-saver. Definitely keep the missus happy. She can't drive, but she likes to lock the car for me (usually because muggins 'ere is carrying the shopping) and she can't wrap her head around using the key, much less the double lock. That, and the key is fairly worn so it's a bit tricky getting it to turn in the door lock. While I'm used to it, it's an annoying little quirk.

legend-ary and Harvey like this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds a little bit of a nightmare, what with the worn key and the lack of fob. Hopefully you will be able to get a new key as well at some point and use the worn one as the spare.
    And it was my pleasure in assisting you.

10. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    You're a star, man. Both of youse. They key's not so bad. You just have to put a little weight on it downward in the lock before it'll turn, as you'd probably do anyway. I think it's because the chrome coating has been stripped off after so many years exposing the metal underneath. Even so, a new key is on the list. Guess I'll need to hit the dealership for one of those, at least for the genuine Honda key blank? My dad's had keys from key cutters and hasn't had much luck with them in the past.

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah you might be better off hitting the dealer up for a genuine replacement key. Rather than a key cutters copying an already worn key. I had that once on my old car ( a Vauxhall Astra) that the key I got cut would open the drivers door fine, but would only open the passenger door if it was used in a certain way.

12. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Funny you should say that... My dad had the same problem with a Frontera. Though to be fair, it was an old car and a very cheap key.

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had a look on Lings and the list price for a new fob is £118, but this is list price and NEW. The key has a list price of £36, though since it is immobilised I am not sure how you would go about programming it or having it programmed to the car. Even so for a dealer supplied key that is cheap compared to some. Peugeot tried to charge me £150 for a key years ago.

I would talk to the parts desk at Holdcroft Honda and see whats needed to order the key and if they can't do it due to whats needed for security then hit up your local dealer.