Electrical & Lights Replacing battery

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by FOXX, Monday 1st Jun, 2015.

1. FOXX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Hitchin
    Hi All, This may sound a little bit silly, but I've got to replace the battery on my 07 CTDI EX. My question is, is there anything which will require to be re set, or that may not function once the current battery is disconnected.

2. FOXX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry, what I meant to say is, I'm aware that I may have to reset the clock and radio stations, but wondered if there was anything else which may require a re set, as I haven't had a car with as many gadgets as this one.

3. FOXX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All done.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Just about to reply to this - no mate, only radio stations - no security codes needed for it.

Oh, you will lose your auto up and down function when you disconnect the battery. Easy to reset this - wind the window all the way down to the bottom and hold the button there for a few seconds. Then pull the window all the way up and hold the button up there for a few seconds as well. This reprograms the auto function - that will then work again.

Chunkylover53, DJ Wozza and Ichiban like this.
  5. FOXX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you @Nighthawk, I will re set the window in the morning.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That covers the lot after power if lost
    1)Auto on windows has to be reset
    2)time on clock has to be set (Sat navs automatically correct themselves via GPS)
    3) Radio station presets will also be lost.So rescan and preset your favorites again,

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ah this is nice to know! I thought the Sat Nav model needed a code which I did't have! I went to lengths to set up a 12v power supply for the systems while I was replacing the battery!

8. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    I need to change the battery on my 2.4 CL9, and I'm undecided between OEM Honda battery (the slim one, 48Ah with 420 CCA) and an upgrade Moll M3 plus k2 (60Ah with 550 CCA MOLL Batterien – Prämierte Erstausrüster-Qualität Made in Germany ). Price similar or a little cheaper for the MOll one (the Honda dealer has 100 Euro + VAT for a Honda OEM battery) also the Moll has 3.5 year warranty vs 1 or 2 years for the OEM Honda.
    The only concern I have is the added weight, as the Moll batteries are larger/heavier.
    Any idea about the weight of the OEM Honda slim battery (for petrol)?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I thought Honda batteries had a much longer guarantee ?

Why do you think you need the extra cranking power ?

10. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    I don't really need, I only have a dash-cam as an added accessory (it starts when the car starts), I think the extra capacity is a bonus (60Ah vs 48Ah) - it happened a few times (having music on for a while or forgetting the inside lamp on to have issues starting the car).
    Is there any negative side of having more CCA? And speaking about this, I recall reading somewhere that Acura TSX has OE 430 CCA specs, I was wondering why Honda in Europe sells with less CCA?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There's no negative aside from the extra weight. I just wondered if you actually had need for the extra capacity.

All things considered the extra weight isn't going to make much difference.

12. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    i was just curios how much weight, is not just the weight itself is more about where is added , right on the nose of the car :Smile: (I wouldn't care if I had the battery in the trunk) :Smile:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Means extra grip on front tyres :Grin:

dinoc likes this.
  14. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    good one :Smile:
    by the way has anyone replaced the stock terminals for the battery?
    My plus terminal is not holding tight anymore ( i need to add an extra stuff metal to make it hold)? I was wondering what terminals should choose?

15. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    I've noticed something, while measuring with a voltage meter between the plus terminal of the battery and on the top of the right cell (there are 6 cells) , inside of that "X" shape, as per attached picture, I can measure 7.5V there - is this normal? I mean that top of the cell is from plastic so I don't get it?
    On the second "X" from the right, I can measure something like 3.x V, the third one 1.xV and the 4th one like 0.01V and the last two ones I have 0.0V .

Attached Files:

16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    a DVM is an extremely high resistance, so the plastic is acting as a resistance of similar magnitude, possibly even an extremely small capacitance i.e. you're just measuring "stray" voltages caused by extremely small currents. You should get a similar effect if you hold the negative terminal of the DVM in one hand and put your other hand on battery negative, and the voltage on the DVM will vary according to how wet your hands are, and/or how hard you grasp the terminals.

You'll also get something similar if you put the DVM onto AC and stick one terminal into the "live" part of a wall-socket and put the other terminal on the wall, though don't try this unless you know what you're doing.

dinoc likes this.
  17. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Thank you for the explanation.
    But I'm wondering why I have this behavior only on those spots (the X on top of the cells) and not one the other parts of the top of the battery.

18. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Probably stray capacitance from the cells

dinoc likes this.
  19. FOXX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, well I've replaced the battery, alternator (recon) New shorter belt, and all was good for a few days, now the battery light flashes on intermittently. I've had the battery and charge rate checked and all is good.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be happening?
    Thanks
    Dave

20. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    You might have a stand by consumer?