Electrical & Lights Replacing battery

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by TerryM, Friday 14th Sep, 2012.

1. TerryM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will soon need to replace the battery in my Accord VTEC Sport, reg. 2002.

Is there much difference between makes/suppliers, regarding battery:
    * price
    * performance
    * life
    * other factors (which?)

Or are they all much of a muchness?

Your advice please.

Terry

(based in North Hertfordshire)

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 20th Feb, 2014
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No point buying aftermarket and finding it won't fit.

Ring AOC's associated dealer Holdcroft Honda and they will give you a brilliant price on a genuine Honda one delivered.

3. TerryM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that - what does "aftermarket" mean?

Presumably I can get a Honda battery delivered, then fitted locally?

Genuine ignoramus here, as regards the inner workings of motor vehicles, without time or inclination to dabble! :Blushing:

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Aftermarket means non-Honda spare parts for your car.

I'm certain you could get someone local to fit it if you crossed their palm with a little bit of silver.

5. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    The battery on my Accord lasted six years and I replaced it with a Yuasa. I understand that they supply Honda with batteries. Yuasa are a Japanese company, and I bought it from a local supplier who ordered it for me.

Cost £58 and they fitted it and disposed of my old battery.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. TerryM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very helpful, thanks! :Smile:

If 6 years is typical for battery life, then I guess my Accord must be on its second battery.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have used a Honda genuine battery in my old 2.0 accord and it has lasted 6 years and still going strong . Have it checked every year and it passing with flying colours . Why get aftermarket battery when they cost more than the real thing and Honda battery do last for a LONG time .

8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's an easy DIY Terry, 10mm spanner, negative comes off first and goes back on last.

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Ichiban likes this.
  10. Jon_G Guest

My 2005 diesel tourer has a Delphi battery - I'm pretty sure it's original (I bought the car when it was only 3 years old) and still going strong.

With a diesel, a very important issue is the cranking current amps (CCA) rating - the higher the better (as long as it'll fit).

Much as I would normally avoid buying parts from Honda on the grounds of cost, I understand that they sell batteries at very competetive prices... I'm sure there will be cheaper alternatives, but there are a lot of poor quality ones about.

Our other car is a 2003 MR2 roadster which we've owned from new - still on the original battery as well!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have a Yuasa professional range battery in my 2.4 7th Generation and it been great so far. But Yuasa batteries are expensive when compared to the Honda genuine batteries both come with same warranty periods.

12. Rob Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Terry,
    I recently replaced my battery (7th Generation diesel) and got it from Hondcroft Honda (after some sound advice from the honda knowledge gods on this site).

It cost about £40 inc vat and delivery. Just rang them up, ask for the parts department and told them I was a member of this site and it turned up pretty much the next day if my memory serves. Easy as peas, and saved myself £25 after returning the one I'd bought from Eurocarparts!!

13. TerryM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks for all your replies - sorry about the delay in replying.

I'm now wondering what I meant by "soon" (in my first post in this thread).

Present battery is still working ok, though clearly not new. Recent test confirms this.

Do batteries die slowly, with plenty of warning signs, or can they die from one day to the next?

Thanks,
    Terry

Last edited: Saturday 29th Sep, 2012
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes batteries can change from a good state to a bad state overnight, the winters are battery killers it always advisable to get the battery tested at each service or the onset of Winter.. Which is now ideally.:Thumbup:

Every year this time Honda have battery promotions so wait to hear the good offers from HH soon on this.

15. TerryM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quick update - still soldiering on with the same battery that came with the car when I bought it. Due to get battery, tyres, rattling windows, etc checked tomorrow.

16. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Might as well keep the battery another year if you've got this far - better weather's just round the corner.

17. TerryM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good point - thanks! :Thumbup: