General Replacing Brakes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheGreatDane, Tuesday 15th Mar, 2016.

1. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andreas A Leeds
    Hi everyone.

In need of a bit of advice. So my Civic that I bought recently are currently at about 88000 Miles.
    When the brakes are cold, there is a slight but quite clear, deep grumbling/grinding noise when I push the brakes. It subsides after having driven the car for a while as far as I can tell. Is this an indicator that I should get the brake pads changed? And if so, should I consider the rotor and/or brake discs as well in the same go?
    With that question in mind, how much would replacing these roughly set me back?

Kind regards

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If the noise from the front or back?
    It could be the wear indicators, but they would grind whenever you used the brakes.

How much of the pads are left? Have you had a look?
    What do the discs look like?

Pop some pictures up so we can have a look.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Not a brakes expert (far from it) but on My Civic, I had to do calipers on left and right at rear, as both of them were seized in some way or form (about 6 months apart). I did not get a grinding noise, but I expect grinding could possibly be caused by seized calipers. I can;t remember how much it was to repair, but I think when I had it done at Halfords it was about £440 for a new caliper, disc and labour for one side. When I got a reconditioned caliper and replaced its myself, it was MUCH cheaper. Maybe your calipers just need a good clean, and the sliders need replacing / regreasing. This is by far the cheapest option, as the kits for this are quite cheap (I think the caliper fitting kit I purchased for this was about £18), and reasonably simple to do if you have a few tools, and a good guide to follow. You may need a caliper winding tool (if that's what it's called)

4. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just noticed that Halfords do a free brake check, so I'll get it booked in, find out exactly what needs replacing. Crossing my fingers it's not the calipers.. Sounds expensive yikes!

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Be careful with monkeys at Halfrauds, they might try and make you change brakes even if they are in good shape!

Nighthawk, legend-ary and RogerH69 like this.
  6. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm.. I'll post some pictures here soon then! To be honest I don't think it's been done for the life of the car, so I might as well put some money down and get it done sooner rather than later.

Nighthawk and RogerH69 like this.
  7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok just checked my records and project log, and here are the pricings -

• With Halfords Autoicentre doing parts and work - Cost £440 for the following -
      • Rear disks and pads, both sides
      • Rear offside caliper
      • Rear nearside sliding pin
    • With me getting a caliper from Euro Car Parts, as well as the caliper fitting kit from Brakes International, and me and a mate fitting them -
      • Caliper £134 (this includes a £54 surcharge which is refunded when I give them my old caliper), so actually only £80
      • Caliper fitting kit £14
      • Experience gained while doing my own brakes - priceless :Smile:
    The reason I new my caliper was seized was that the wheel was DAMN hot (I mean painfully so) after driving the car for a few miles as the brakes were stuck in the 'on' position on that side.

One thing to also look out for.... is small amount of rust / dirt / brake residue on the disks when the wheels are cold, especially if sat outside for a few days. After driving for a little bit, this will get wiped off naturally and the brakes stop making a noise. Still a good idea to get it looked at, especially if free. See if you can get some photographic evidence of what is 'wrong' with the brakes before you commit to anyone fixing it, and feel free to post said evidence here for the experts (i.e. not me :Smile: ) to comment on.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Agree with this. Ask them to take pictures up front in the case of them 'finding stuff that needs fixing' and tell them you're like to get advice from others before deciding to go ahead with repairs.

Yeah. A lot of people seem to think that parts are supposed to last forever. Brakes are a safety item, so worth it to spend a little money to ensure they are up to spec.
    - - - Updated - - -
    One last thing - if you DO get the brake pads / calipers / discs replaced by them, insist that they show you the replaced items. If you look at this post in my Civic's project log, I took pictures of the discs which clearly shows where the disks were overheating from seized caliper / slider and where the pad was binding.

legend-ary and exec like this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Do they only grumble after the car has been sitting for a while after its been raining?

A seized caliper wouldn't cause the issue you are describing as it wouldn't go away, it would get worse as the friction heat builds up. It initially sounds to me like you have surface rust which would cause a grinding sensation for the first few applications of your brakes until the rust is scrubbed away by the pads.

Look forward to seeing the pictures. Try to get close up pictures of the discs and amount of friction material left on the pads if you can

9. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right here we go. The first 5 are of one of the front brakes, the last 3 are of one of the rear brakes.
    20160315_165248. 20160315_165302. 20160315_165353. 20160315_165357. 20160315_165401. 20160315_165431. 20160315_165440. 20160315_165450.

10. Nighthawk Guest

There looks like a slight lip on the front discs but nothing serious. The front discs seem in good nick with loads of material left on the pads. The rear discs are slightly worse, but still don't look too bad with lots of friction material left on the pads.

Does it only grind when its been sitting still after its been raining? I think it was surface rust on the discs which was rubbing off.

If those brakes were mine, I would strip them down and lubricate everything up, but looking at those pictures don't raise any huge concerns.

RogerH69 likes this.
  11. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's hard to say really, but I don't think this is the case. It just seems to give off a faint but deep grinding noise when the car has been sat for a while, which then stop when I have been driving/braking for a bit.
    As far as stripping down goes, I am really not too keen on risking taking the car apart as I have no mechanical expertise. I am a computer engineer, not a mechanical one.. :Grin:

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I have EBC yellowstuff pads, which give off a fair amount of dust, and when i leave the car sitting for a day or two, they do grind a little at first due to the surface rust, so As Nighthawk says, looking at the pictures, I think the same might be happening to you. If you;re comfortable taking the calipers and pads off, what Nighthawk suggests is a great idea, and will only cost you your time.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Posted the above before seeing your response. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, you may want to take the car to a couple of places to see what verdict they give on the cause of the symptoms you describe. If they all say the same thing, and recommend things to be replaced, then you may have to pay to get it done.

Taking pads and calipers off is really not that hard, but is best done for the first time when someone else is around to show you how it's done. I'm also a computer geek by trade, and was very nervous getting into doing mechanical stuff, but I'm slowly gaining more confidence. We all start somewhere :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

Your description really does sound like surface rust which is totally normal but if it would make you feel better then I would definetely agree with you getting them checked out for your own peace of mind.:Niceone:

I certainly don't think they need to be replaced at the moment looking at those pictures.

Nels and RogerH69 like this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

15. Nighthawk Guest

How have your brakes been mate - have they been behaving?

16. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So far so good. I think it might indeed just be brake dust on them which causes the noise for a little bit until they've been used for a bit. I will probably replace them sometime during the summer I would imagine.. Onwards to other projects now..!
    ... Anyone know of an easy way to get wheel center caps off easily..?

17. Nighthawk Guest

Glad the brakes are sorted.

You can pop them off easily by knocking them from the inside of the wheel. That way you can guarentee that you don't damage the alloy by prying it off from the outside

18. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was kind of hoping not to take off the wheels first

19. Nighthawk Guest

You can lever them off from the outside but you risk damaging either the centre caps or the alloy

20. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    try some strong tape and pull

Nighthawk likes this.