Aftermarket Kit Replacing original speakers

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by moob, Sunday 6th Jul, 2014.

1. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    So I bought a pair of new speakers and stripped the door down today to fit them onlying to be confronted with the original ones being encased in a plastic surround.

To fit the new one I'd need to drill through the bodywork.

Anyone done this or is there a simple way around?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scratch what I just said... take a look at my DIY when I installed aftermarket speakers. You have to make a new speaker ring from MDF. Measure the current plastic ones and you can either make them yourself out of MDF or buy them off eBay. Under a fiver per pair I believe.

moob likes this.
  3. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Thanks bud.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Remember to buy the speaker adaptor too :Smile:

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had the same problem but as my old speakers were broke I used those to create an adapter out of them by removing the cones and utilizing the original speaker plug.

It Was really easy to do. I heated the old speakers up on the gas hob to soften the adhesive and pull the cone off. The cones do melt easy! Then you will want to remove the plastic supports for the cone. A dremmel would be handy right now but all I had was a scalpel so I heated it up till it glowed red and sliced through the plastic like butter. I then used the same technique to remove the speaker connector which was then soldered to the new speakers. I had some draft excluder tape I used to create a nice seal round the speakers. Job done. No waiting for adapters :Thumbup:

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very intuitive. For my first door speaker installation a hacksaw was used to adapt it for the new speaker which worked for a week or so before the speaker output became intermittent which is why I ended up making MDF spacers for all the other speakers.

For the speaker, soldering the pos+neg would be a good way to go but when I hooked up my speakers I decided that when I change cars or if I had the misfortune of being in an accident then I could easily remove the speakers if I used an adapter and install the original Honda ones. That said I only thought about that due to Admiral's dire audio cover on insurance policies. The only thing I could leave behind that would be covered is the subwoofer! The other £400 worth of equipment wouldn't be accounted for.

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It was the female speaker connector that's moulded into the original speakers that I took off and soldered onto the new speakers. That way i use the orignal plug N play wiring so they can be removed instantly:Niceone:

Nels and Chunkylover53 like this.
  8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brilliant, wish I had thought of that!

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How are the new speakers @moob ?

10. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Haven't bought the adapters yet mate. On my to do list along with a new condenser.

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

nsxer and moob like this.
  12. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

will be looking into upgrading the audio system in my 7th Generation in due course. i plan to pull the original head unit out and replace with a clarion unit i bought a few years ago which has ipod/phone support. will also look at upgrading the speakers. i may just leave original wiring in the car and just run upgrade cable in that way i can retro fit. no point in using cheap wiring if upgrading speakers anyway ...

what are you guys considering in terms of speaker upgrades?

i don't plan to do any custom installs and just replace the original speakers but use existing door housings.

the car will only be a run about so can't justify massive expenditure on upgrades. but original system sounds really naff. if any funds left might dynomat key areas of the door as they do sound hollow

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Head unit wise - I went for an Alpine with a plug in amplifier which has made my life so much easier as it all works through the existing wiring and sounds exquisite.

For speakers I went for Infinity's 5002ix which has been perfect for me, I've got a separate sub in the boot which provides the bass whilst the speakers handle the rest perfectly and still manage to add some bass. That said I guess it also depends on your music preferences (hip-hop, rap) and the quality of the source itself. I primarily use FLAC or MP3 320kbps which really helps.

For the door housing, take a look at my DIY for my 6th Generation (just click on Infinity 5002ix link in my signature). MDF rings would work for you.

14. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

As stated I have a decent head unit I purchased a couple of years back that I will use.
    I will run new cable in the car and just leave OEM wire in the doors that way I can have quality cable with std connectors in place for the new speakers and if ever need to take out can hopefully wire back std speakers easily.

Will see if anywhere here demo's infinity stuff ... I was just thinking about upgrading with clarion products but will see what is open to me with the installer I choose to go with; will not bother with sub in a run about. My interest lies in hard rock and metal with some country rock and ost. I like to have low end but enjoy mid range and high level frequencies

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's very easy to install + remove the standard speakers, its just a plastic clip on.

If you're running new cable then the adaptor is not required as it will just hook onto red and black. I'm not sure Clarion make products for the UK market anymore, I haven't seen that brand in years! Now the good brands are JL, Infinity, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Focal and Hertz (runs excellent even without an amp).

16. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Clarion are alive and well in the UK albeit product lines not as massive as once were.
    i have a friend who was an authorised seller in their equipment so he will be my 1st port of call.
    I have already gone down the route of an expensive install in my NSX recently so that is why iam NOT looking to shed pounds on effectively my run about ... just want to better std ... which will not be too hard to do anyway. will see what is on offer and open to me

thanks for the info... i don't see the install being a big deal will get something sorted.

Will provide details in due course

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  17. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    @Chunkylover53, I'm a little confused. Need help.

I've got 6.5" speakers already. Stripped both doors down and discovered original speakers are 6".

See the adapters /rings I need, are they to fit my speakers or the original holes in the door.

Sorry for being dense.

18. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the adopters allow the speaker to be fitted into original position so i would say to plug n play to the original specification on the doors
    can you not do a little bit of diy on the adopters to make em fit ... if you know what i mean! :Smile:

19. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Yeah I think that's the way forward.

Might just buy some mdf and make my own.

20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup that looks like the best way to go.

moob likes this.