Suspension, Steering and Brakes Replacing rear discs - 2000 Accord

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Scotboxer, Thursday 17th Apr, 2014.

1. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've replaced the front discs on my 2000 Accord no problem. Started on the rear today after watching a couple of youtube clips. This time I expereienced some issues. I undid the 13mm bolts and got the old pads out OK but then struggled with the bolts holding the caliper mounting frame to the exle.

1. What size are these bolts? None of my metric sockets seemed a tight fit. Are they A/F?

2. I suspect I have rounded the head on at least one bolt. Any suggestions please? For example, is there a near fit socket in A/F or other type which can be hammered on?

3. Winding back the adjuster in the caliper was an absolute b*gger. Any suggestions to make it easier?

4. |Do the slots on the adjuster have to engage with the raised tab on the pad when re-assembling?

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Ichiban likes this.
  3. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hondas are right hand thread, as is the listing.
    Looks ok, but cannot tell about the quality from a photo.
    However 100% and 83 sold, so that's good

Machine Mart have this listed. (if there is one by you?)
    Right-Handed Brake Piston Wind back Tool

- Machine Mart

Any problems, (although I wouldn't expect any) easier to take it back ?

I bought the Laser tool from Halfords many years ago, and it's still going.
    Screwfix have it at 19.99 (Halfords 32.99!)
    Laser Brake Caliper Rewind Tool Kit | Brake Tools | Screwfix.com
    I like to buy the best tools I can, taking into account how long do I want it to last.

Over all, probably worth a punt on the one you've found.

Let us know how you get on :Hey:

5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nels likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Cheaper still, and decent quality.
    Nice one @AndyB1976 :Thumbup:

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its worth getting that type of tool...obviously buy it where ever more convenient. As I do my brakes once a year as a clean up and inspection, its not a big expense over the years.

8. Scotboxer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks all. The Machine Mart tool looks identical to the Laser so will pop over to my nearest branch and buy it..

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Even if you find the piston is particularly tough with that tool, you can slip a 17 or 19mm socket/spanner over the end hex (where the handle goes through) for a bit of extra leverage.

Keep in mind you don't want to twist/rip the boot when turning it, the usual method is a bit of rubber safe grease between the piston and the boot.

815FTQiQ-NL._SL1500_.

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On a slight deviation, does every 6th Generation accord have disc rear brakes, as the brake slider pin on mine is now bent after trying to get it out due to seizure and I now need a caliper carrier bracket.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Harvey, what year and model is your Accord?
    I'll see what I can find for you.

12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2000 (xreg) 2 litre ch7 SE. But there are two lower mode,l S models in the scrap yard nearbt, one is a W and I think the other is a V reg.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm having problems with the exact model.
    If you go onto this site and enter your reg, it will eventually lead you to a page with lots of diagrams for your car.
    Use the same site to search by model for the ones in the yards.

If they are the same engine size, and saloon like yours, they're probably the same brakes.
    At least it will give you an idea of what they look like.

Honda Car Parts / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

Open them on different tabs to make it easier to compare

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hiya mate, I've been on lings before and its a very handy tool. Mine shows up as a 2.0iLS rather thsn ES, but think they are the same, btw mines a hatch rather than a 'loon, but so are the ones in the scrappers.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've tried a few models.
    The ones with rear discs are all the same, and the same as mine. (7th Generation)
    In which case you may find a newer set off a 7th Generation?
    Some of the smaller engines have drums.

Edit: Sorry, they are different part numbers :telloff:

Last edited: Saturday 26th Apr, 2014
  16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Speedy or AndyB1976 should be able to clarify better than me.

Are you able to take your old ones to the yard to compare?

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well that's a start, thanks mate. There are no 7th Generation in my local. I think both are 2 litre, but IIRC 1.8 and 2 litre are the same, they never sold the 1.6 here

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

7th Generation are different part numbers, sorry.

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Take a look at the VIN and if its CH6 I can tell you for certain that the rears are disc brakes.

Also my indie says that the slider pin is a small issue on these models but with a little care it can be freed without bending it.

20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also if you get the reg numbers from the scrap cars then enter them into lings, find the part you want and see if its the same part number required on your existing car?

Nels likes this.