Suspension, Steering and Brakes Replacing rear upper arm ball joint

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by david seale, Thursday 22nd May, 2014.

1. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    Wondered if any one could tell me how easy it is to replace the rear upper ball joint on my 1999 honda accord?
    I have changed front lower ball joints before and own a ball joint splitter.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated I am new here so hope I have done this thread correctly

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @AndyB1976, @Rhys and @Chunkylover53 are our most active 6th Generation members, hopefully one of them can offer you some sound advice.

By the way, welcome to Honda Karma feel free to introduce yourself/car and pop her in the club garage :Smile:

3. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hello david and welcome to the forum :Smile: I can't say I have delved in to that part of the car myself so unfortunately I can't offer you any advice sorry but hopefully andy b or chunkylover can help you out :Smile: in the meantime you could try a search on google to see if there are any pointers or even try youtube ! I've picked up so much from that site.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I haven't done a 99 Honda Accord rear one but generally they are all the same.
    This video will give you an idea, instead of two hammers I normally just use one hammer.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All I know you will need a hydraulic press to get that ball joint out if it does want to play ball .LOL

6. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    Is the press to remove the ball joint or get the new one in (or both)
    I am going to climb under her later and see what I can see if the bank holiday weather eases up that is.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry dude, IIRC yes for both, where you able to see anything fella?

8. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    Time has come to replace these items , however after advice during its MOT turns out these are a complete arm consisting of a ball joint one end and bush the other.
    Fitting is supposed to be quite easy to fit.
    Here comes the best bit looks like on my 98 model they are main dealer parts.

9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've spotted some on ebay for about £50 each, or there are some Japspeed ones on ebay again, but this time at £100

10. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    Just an update I opted for the japspeed adjustable arms which I believe to be good value for money and entrusted these to a very experienced mechanic friend of mine.
    He has completed the work and has ensured me this is not a job he would be undertaking again what started as potentially removing a couple of bolts and removing the parts became a major strip down to adequately locate the bolt holding the bush end.
    Just glad I didn't decide to takle this one myself.

Chunkylover53 and Harvey like this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

From examination of my own car I also concluded this, that the bolt is pretty inaccessible, but the good part is that you got the parts fitted. Let us know if its solved your issue and also what they are like, as I was thinking of some myself.

12. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    I purchased mine from 2fast2cool2 on eBay for £89 including postage, rather than from japspeed to save my self £10 .
    When they turned up (next day) they where japspeed parts and good quality.
    It has solved my problem Harvey with the four new anti roll bar links that I had fitted I now have a totally different car to drive.

Chunkylover53 and Harvey like this.
  13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is good to hear, I may end up getting some myself, I like shiney things.

david seale and Chunkylover53 like this.