Off-Topic Repurpose/Reuse/Recycle ideas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SpeedyGee, Tuesday 27th Jan, 2015.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I was just pondering on what things people may have reused, or recycled or repurposed.

I'm thinking mainly in terms of ideas for garage or other engineering ideas but it's not just for those, post away anyway would love to see your ideas.

@PeteMM I'm sure you have plenty of examples !
    Last edited: Wednesday 28th Jan, 2015
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  2. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    not sure where to even begin dude.

28-22mm copper reducers and some o-rings and a little scotchbrite make for a rugged and rather good tig cup

stainless food grade fittings and caps turned into a purge setup for welding pipe ie manifolds and exhaust

Cardboard box to prevent my daughter from falling over when a customer came in

Childs play mats for tool control

old extension and a ratchet strap became an oil filter wrench

Old light fittings from an empty warehouse that was having its offices demolished.
    Dexion shelving from another commercial clearance.
    Two bits of dexion cut to mount the tig welder up high,
    The welding table was a large jig/fixture table that was left at a manufacturing company cos it was too heavy, I cut it down and used whatever 2x1 scrap I had to add a frame under it
    Another 6ft x 4ft fixture table from the same place - both are 3/4" thick steel tops that were blanchard ground
    The whiteboard came from a school that was being remodelled, as did the shelf brackets.
    All the organisation on the shelves is done in empty tri-wall projector boxes from my previous job

I have one of these en route
    Which I will be dividing up each drawer to allow me to organiser all my nuts, bolts, washer, rivets, and whatever fasteners I have build up over the years

i have a collection of furniture dollies, one of which you can see under my Mig in the pic above. They are awesome for moving heavy stuff and bodyshells around to gain access to other things.

I am currently waiting on 3 or 4 metal filing cabinets with the sliding doors. These will be mounted on aircraft loading rollers. That way all the cabinets can be tucked up tight in the corner of the workshop, when you want into one they simply all roll along the castors allowing you access to the one you need. You can then close them back up and keep the space available
    So will be like this, but with closed cabinets to prevent dirt and grinding dust settling on fresh products

I have a couple of ikea roll out storage bins
    They sit under my wooden workbench, I roll them out, sweep all the crap off the bench into them and roll them away out of sight, everyday during clean up everything gets swept up to them and dumped. Periodically I just lift them out (keeping the lids on) throw them in the car and take them to the dump.

A 2 litre bottle with the top cut off makes a great mobile urination station to save tramping all the filings and dirt through the house
    Last edited: Tuesday 27th Jan, 2015
    FirstHonda and SpeedyGee like this.
  3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Nothing major, but it usually involves an old pallet or two :gotcha:

Wee work bench for caravan

Attempt at a deck to fill a dead corner

deck1. deck2.
    SpeedyGee and PeteMM like this.
  4. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Also turned some scrap into hip flasks for a couple of friends
    AndyB1976 likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good stuff guys, keep em rolling in. I knew @PeteMM would have some crackers :Smile:

Loving the use of the box to keep your daughter safe :Thumbup:

I've been wanting to do one of these for ages.

Can you detail yours when you get it please.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Loving the baby in the box, how cute :GiveRose:
    PeteMM likes this.
  7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

I will detail as much as I remember to dude.

Should be here tomorrow, was sent from a customer and the other two packages arrived today, so I will make a start on it when i get a free 5 mins to do so

Currently organising all my crap in the house to stay warm :Tongue:

Next stop will be all the nuts bolts and washers from the garage