Engine & Gearbox reset PGM computer

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Mervyn4u2, Friday 26th Aug, 2016.

1. Mervyn4u2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Merv Kent
    hi all
    was just going through the old service papers for my Accord 56 plate 2ltr se and noticed Reset PGM computer on the various work sheets

what is a pgm and more to the point , when it comes up how does one reset it ??

I assume its something to do with the servicing reset light

Merv
    (still very green when it comes to honda's)

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:bump:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    PGM aka PGM-FI (Programmed Fuel Injection) is the old term for an ECU, So they guy who written the notes is a older technician from the 90's stating he cleared all the DTC codes off the ECU.

Zebster likes this.
  4. Mervyn4u2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Merv Kent
    ah very many thanks for that .. .. Ichiban

Its going back anyway cause of the battery drain which most people suffer.. the HFC is being replaced so we will wait and see..

I'm desperately trying to "love "this Honda but its a long process :Smile:

Merv

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Don't replace the costly HFT module to check it, simply remove the fuse to see if the battery drain problem ceases!

6. Mervyn4u2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Merv Kent
    its been in to Honda dealer to initially check the hfc unit and it was duff .. its only recently I have left the car for 3 or 4 days only to find battery virtually dead.. so they have agreed to sort it as I bought it from a main dealer with Warrenty...

Am I correct in thinking takingout the fuse would also stop radio working .. ie both on same fuse

Merv

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just remove the HFT wire to the unit leave the Fuse alone.Battery problems, HFT removal

Zebster likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It was only a suggestion for an easy short-term trial to discover if the problem WAS the HFT module... Our beloved leader has since linked to a more permanent solution.

In any case, good luck with having it replaced under warranty by Honda. I believe that it's quite pricy.

9. Mervyn4u2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Merv Kent
    Hi Zebster
    Any suggestions are welcome .. :Smile: so thank you for that
    have you had any major issues with your tourer ?

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm not complaining, as it's now done 172k miles (90k miles in my 8 year ownership) but I did have to replace the timing chains two years ago, which is a fairly major job. The exhaust manifold has a tiny crack that is only noticeable when first started from cold, and the original clutch has suffered two extended periods of slipping (from which it has recovered thanks to the self-adjusting pressure plate, albeit one that might be a bit slow to respond). These are not uncommon problems with this otherwise fantastic engine.

I recently replaced all the road wheels because the original ones became horribly corroded (it now has 7th Generation Civic EP2 wheels) and one of the wheel arches is starting to bulge as some rust is developing.

But it is reliable, economical and very comfortable on long journeys.

Last edited: Tuesday 13th Sep, 2016
    legend-ary likes this.
  11. Mervyn4u2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Merv Kent
    ah not too bad then :Smile:
    how does one know when timing chains need replacing or is there a fixed milege where its recommended to replace it
    I heard if one breaks then its goodbye to the engine .. so need to find out
    Mine had done 83K
    Merv

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Deleted... Not relevant to the relatively bullet-proof petrol engines!

Last edited: Tuesday 13th Sep, 2016
    Nels likes this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

14. Mervyn4u2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Merv Kent
    think mine is a facelift model .its on a 56 plate and is auto 2ltr s model so nothing too elegant . I guess no easy way to see apart from the excessive noise :Frown:
    so is it the later models that require 0w-20. ??

Merv

sorry about so many questions .. still at the very early learning stage .

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Hang on, I just noticed that you have a 2L petrol. Please Ignore everything I said about engine problems (refers to the 2.2 diesel)!

16. andy83 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    hi mate I might be wrong but think you have the k20 series engine in your Accord.
    thanks andy

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Correct!

18. andy83 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    so I think I'm right in saying keep regular oil changes and oil level kept up on dipstick as low oil would not be good for the chain these are a strong engine.
    thanks
    andy

19. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

K20's are known for timing chain stretch as well actually.

Usually after upwards of 100K miles if the car hasn't had regular oil changes done throughout it's life

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TBH all Honda petrol engine with that mileage onwards with timing chains will be prone to stretchering on poor oil change history.