Body, Paint & Styling Retro fit Tourer roof rails

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Hendrixaxe, Thursday 21st Feb, 2013.

1. Hendrixaxe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    After much searching I managed to track down a set of roof bars to fit to my 55 plate 2005 Tourer. I'm waiting for delivery and in advance of fitting them I wondered if anyone who has completed this installation could offer any hints or tips gained from experience e.g. the removal of the rubber strip and subsequent cutting to size.

Any help and advice is welcome.

Many thanks in advance

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Are these the accessories roof rails or from the facelift car?

can you get some pictures up please

3. Hendrixaxe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Hi

These bars were taken from a 2004 2.4S Tourer, so I'm expecting them to fit - my vehicle appears to be the same 2003-2008 pre-facelift model (Tourer 2.0 VTEC Exec).

I have now received the roof bars but the bolts were sent separately and should be with me tomorrow.

My main concerns are:

1. How to remove the rubber strips from the roof to expose the fixings (without damaging the strips, as I plan to re-use them and cut them to fit the gaps left between the fixing brackets)
    2. How to attach the brackets to the roof (I can see that the front and rear part of the roof rails slide on to their respective fixing brackets, and that the the centre section of the rail has a small inspection panel that pops out to allow access to the bolt heads)
    3. How best to cut the roof strip to size to ensure a water tight seal (if indeed this is actually an issue)

As I'm fairly practical I'm guessing it will become apparent how it all goes together once I start the job, but I know from experience that a bit of inside knowledge can save a lot of time and head scratching (and cursing!)

Many thanks

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As with all things hindsight is a wonderful thing,I am kicking myself not saving the pre facelift tourer install PDF when I had the opportunity. Since these roof rails were not to popular and hardly bought by people I didn't bother! :nea:

However all is not lost.

On your current roof rails you will have front and rear cover caps like so .. these however are the facelift tourer but the same principle.

Remove the front cover (A) and the rear cover (B).

Front
    tourer roof rai front aocuk.JPG

Rear

tourer roof rail  rear aocuk.JPG

• Remove the roof rail (A) and the centre bracket (B).
    • Using a trim tool, pry the notch (C), then remove the roof rail bar cap (D).
    • Remove the nuts (E) from the front bracket (F) and the rear bracket (G).
    • Remove the bolts (H), then remove the roof rail.
    • Remove the centre cover (I), and nuts (J), then remove the centre bracket.
    • Install the roof rail in the reverse order of removal, and make sure the front and rear covers are snapped tightly into place.
    tourer roof rail  removal aocuk.JPG

Top tip don't use any screwdrivers or metal spatula to pry off the roof strips,use a plastic one :Wink:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you could take pictures whilst fitting the roof rails and post in this thread, it would make a great DIY giude for anyone else doing the same :Smile:

6. Hendrixaxe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    @IchibanAccord - I'm surprised by this comment as any roof rails that appear on ebay seem to be snapped up immediately.

Anyway, many thanks for this invaluable guidance. I will attempt to fit the roof rails on Sunday - time, weather, and inevitable hangover permitting.

@SpeedyGee - I hope to capture the process on camera as long as the missus is around to help out as 'David Bailey'

Thanks for your interest.

7. Hendrixaxe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Well, 'attempt' I did - only to find that once I'd removed the trim strip at the edge of the roof that the holes in the roof rail ends did not line up with the threaded studs on the car. That halted proceedings I can tell you!

Now, I understood that my 55 plate 2005 Tourer was a pre-facelift model and that the roof bars I'd obtained from a 2004 2.4S model should have been compatible. But no . . .

Does anyone have any idea why the roof rails didn't fit (apart from the obvious "the holes don't line up!") I'm sure my car isn't a facelift model? And I only have a strangers word that the bars came from a 2004 2.4S model, but he seemed a decent honest chap and I can't see any reason why he would have deliberately deceived me.

I guess my footnote is 'Does anyone have a set of roof rails for a 55 plate 2005 2.0 litre Exec'?

Many thanks

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's is strange can you take pictures of this roof rail let see what they look like ? I take it you have tried both rails on one side before coming to the conclusion they are not compatible.

9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I can't see them changing the roof pressing to change where the holes are, so are you sure you had the rails the right way around and assembled them properly?

Also check the part numbers on Lings, use your VIN to be accurate as possible.

Parts

10. Hendrixaxe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    I agonised over the possibility that I had been a complete doofus and tried to mount the NS bars to the OS. However, having checked this morning I hadn't. The mounting holes in the rail ends simply do not line up with the mounting studs. (see pics).

Comparing the Honda facelift tourer install PDF you provided, it seems I have roof rails from a facelift car. With the centre bracket lined up the end mountings don't match the studs:
    View attachment 7809 IMAG0067.
    IMAG0068.
    IMAG0069.

Attached Files:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Please accept my apologies for not spotting this earlier, you have the facelift roof rails and the roof does have diffident locators on the roof and fittings.

I am afraid they won't work I take it you have asked for a refund.