Engine & Gearbox reverse gear whine(automatic)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Thursday 30th Apr, 2015.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Had to reverse up fairly quick today at one point today and noticed the gearbox (mine's an Automatic) whining slightly, bit like I used to get in my last car which was a Civic manual transmission, understood the reason for that due to straight cut gears for reverse, but didn't think that was the case for the automatic transmission, can anyone enlighten me and tell me if it's normal to hear this?
    Cheers Pete

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's actually very similar in principle to the reverse gear in a manual gearbox. There is a straight cut gear on the mainshaft which engages with a straight cut get on the countershaft, which results in a reverse direction rotation. Hence the same kind of sound therefore normal.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup couldn't have said it any better.

4. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Many thanks mate, didn't realise the auto boxes had the straights cuts as well, that explains it, mind you the noise is nothing like the Civic Type-S I had that was ridiculously/ embarrisingly loud in reverse, people could certainly here you coming in reverse!!LOL
    Cheers

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well its a Civic would do you expect precision? LOL

6. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    You have a point there mate!LOL

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Yes!