Engine & Gearbox reverse gear whining

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by chris2982, Thursday 9th Jun, 2016.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Hi all,

when reversing in my logo automatic there seems to be a whining noise,, is this anything to be worried about ??

thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Does it sound like the same as the whine you get in a manual car reversing ? If that's what it sounds like then this is fine and normal.

Reverse gear even in a auto are straight cut (as opposed to helical) and have an extra idler gear, hence the whiney sound.

I'll try and remember to listen our Edix in reverse see if it's whiney as a manual.

3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

it seems louder and a higher pitch..
    been Soo long sine I drove an auto so not sure what's normal.
    thanks.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmmm

Has it had an ATF change ?

Other than that, there's not much else you can try without going into gearbox surgery.

5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

I don't believe it has but that is definitely going to get done soon.

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Is the Logo a CVT (Multimatic) ? They do all make a slightly strange whine more like a whirring in reverse. A bit different to a standard 4/5 speed auto. If it is CVT make sure you use the Honda CVT fluid and not ATF DW-1. Cool little car :Niceone:

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I think Logo is a traditional auto. CVT debuted in the Jazz IIRC

8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    When I looked up the drawings I found a 3 speed auto, a CVT and a 5 speed manual offered as options since '99. No great expert on these but more questioning as he doesn't say which transmission he has, as I found the sound reversing in the CVT's I've owed different than a standard auto.

I think (and am happy to be wrong) that Honda introduced the CVT in cars in the EK3 Civic Vti in '95, with a three stage VTEC it's meant to be a heck of a ride :dribble:. I've been looking to see if they put out a limited trial of a CVT in an earlier car, kind of like the k20b direct injection setup used in one version of the JDM Stream.

Anyway noise in reverse is standard in pretty much any transmission as speedy said above its a difference in the way the gears are cut.

legend-ary likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    You are correct! CVT was indeed offered Honda Logo (2000 - 2001) review | Car review | RAC Drive

'Recognising that some buyers in this class prefer an automatic gearbox, Honda offered its own continuously variable transmission (CVT) as an alternative to the standard five-speed gearbox for an extra £900, although this didn't find favour with conservative UK buyers.'