Electrical & Lights Reverse light/camera wiring help

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Saturday 11th Jul, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've installed a reverse camera on my Tourer and connected it to my new head unit, and the video signal gets sent to it when I select the reverse gear. So far so good!

The thing is; my head unit has a wire that the manual says should get connected to the +VE reverse light wiring (it doesn't need a -VE). I've already soldered the +VE and -VE wires from the camera to the light bulb wiring (by the connector) inside the hatch. And I've connected the video cable from the camera to the back of my head unit.

On my head unit, the only way my setup seems to work is if I enable the camera to come on both when reverse gear is selected AND when the touchscreen display isn't used for a few seconds. Obviously no image will get displayed because I spend most of my time driving in a forward gear lol

If I disable that option, the camera feed doesn't show when I select reverse gear!

So, am I right in assuming my head unit needs the +VE wire from the reverse light circuit? If so, is there some wiring I can splice into by the dashboard? I'm not really enthusiastic about running another length of wire to the back of the car, and finding somewhere else to splice into. Removing all the trim panels was a PITA if I'm honest; not sure I want to go through all that again just to run a thin wire!

I know I can just 'live' with the current setup but I want it to be perfect.

I have a Pioneer MVH-AV270BT head unit if that helps, and here is the operating manual for it (reverse camera setup is on page 22 to explain my setup above).

Thanks.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmmm we'd need a wiring diagram to see if there is anything closer to pickup the reserve +ve from.
    - - - Updated - - -
    OK, so seems the nearest place is the reserve switch on the gearbox. On one side of this is +ve from a fuse and the other is the switched fuse that you would need, however, personally I would just run it from the back to the headunit, rather than from the engine bay to the headunit.

Galgo and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

One of the interior fuses (21 I think it is) does the reverse light. As the +VE wire at the tailgate end is green, is it worth tracing a green wire from that fuse at the dashboard end?

I guess my question really is, how easy is it to see the wiring behind the fuse panel in the interior? I'm guessing it's a nightmare to remove?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That green wire goes through the reverse switch on the gearbox.

5. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does it not go via that fuse then?

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    According to the wiring diagram in the installation manual, the Violet/White cable from the head unit needs to goto the reverse switch on the gearbox. Not sure how this was done on mine when my head unit was installed, but as Speedy says, it may be easier to identify the power that goes to the reverse lights and tap into that.

I THINK there may also be something you need to set on the head unit itself. I know that when I car battery died (I went to South Africa and left the car in long term parking) the reverse camera seemed not to work until I reset the option in the head unit. Let me see if I can find it.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Got it...
    This is actually taken from the manual for your head unit -
    Goto Settings and select System
    Goto Camera Settings
    Goto Back Camera Input. Set this to On

Goto Camera Polarity. Set this to Battery (the default option)

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  7. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Roger,

Yeah I made sure that it got set to 'on'. I think it's just because I've not connected the head unit wire that it's not working as it should. The camera does work when I select reverse, but I have to turn on the 'rear camera view' for that to happen. Meaning it displays the camera feed all the time when the head unit isn't getting used for at least 7 seconds.

I will probably have to just bite the bullet and run a wire to the back of the car again lol just thought it would be easier to tap into a wire by the dashboard.

It's a shame the head unit isn't smart enough to go by just the video signal. Don't know if other head units do that or not. Just seems odd that it only works by sensing +VE voltage from the rear lights/reverse switch.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    In theory, there should be a wire going from the fusebox to the reverse lights - you just need to find which it is.

9. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know; I'm pretty sure it's fuse 21, but I'm just a little wary of having to remove the entire fusebox board to trace it.

In my car it's by the driver's footwell next to the door. As you can imagine, also not a lot of room to move around there...!