ICE & HFT Reversing Camera

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Bones126, Thursday 26th Mar, 2015.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Because the built in sat nav was last update in 2009 I don't use it so I am going to convert the screen for reversing camera use, if possible.
    I have enquired at Xcarlink if their Honda Accord interface wiring loom is compatible, but want a good quality camera and one that either will fit in line with my reversing sensors or in a numberplate surround.

Does anyone have an recommendations please?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @RogerH69 is our resident reverse camera guru, right Roger ? :Smile:

Bones126 likes this.
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi @RogerH69 , do you have advise on this please?

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. I missed being tagged by Speedy in this post last week. I'll post more shortly

Bones126 likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@SpeedyGee , I wouldn't say I'm a reverse camera guru, and I haven't connected one to an OEM Honda head unit, but I'm sure they work pretty much the same as an after market one.

If you want a reversing camera that is centered in your tailgate, and also not that obvious, I would recommend you go for something similar to the number plate surround integrated one I used on my car. If you DO go for one of these, I would recommend you get one similar to the one I linked, as it has much more compatibility for existing mounting holes, whereas a previous one I tried would not fit on my car without me drilling new holes (almost half of the back of the number plate holder was missing).

I saw that someone else went and purchased a reversing camera that was integrated into the number plate light (these are really inconspicuous, but the image is off center). I tried to get one of these for my Civic but couldn't find one. Not sure if you'd have more luck on an FR-V.

I did not run the actual wiring of my reverse camera, as it involved running cables inside body panels I could not easily get access to, and also because I didn't want to damage anything by connecting it wrong (and I'm naturally lazy :Smile: )

I wouldn't be able to recommend any 'good quality' reversing cameras as such (i.e. well known brands), as I went for a cheap one, but I can definitely approve of the camera I used on my car, and it does the job perfectly fine. The image quality could be a little bit better, and other models may have better night vision.

With all the above said, my recommendation is -
    - If you want best quality camera / video then go for a named brand, which may involve mounting the camera onto the tailgate trim (not very inconspicuous), or possibly inside the rear bumper
    - If you want it to be cheap, simple to install and inconspicuous, then go for something similar to the one I bought.

One last thing - if you get something similar to mine, the adjustment screws on the camera are going into plastic, so be careful not to tighten them too much or you will strip the plastic. Also, these screws rust quite easily, so once installed and at the right angle, maybe cover the screw heads with some black silicone sealant

Last edited: Tuesday 31st Mar, 2015
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I just remembered something -

If you get the number plate holder reversing camera, make sure that you get one that small plastic clips that will push the number plate forward, to keep to secure. Some of them don;t and the number plate slides around in them. See clips in the image below to see what I mean. On the inside of the holder, at the top, behind the camera, there are similar clips which push the number plate down, to ensure it does not pop out. However, if you need to change the plate, simply slide the number plate up and come out quite easily.

$_57.JPG

7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks @RogerH69 , great bit of advise :Thumbup: Much appreciated, cheers.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hope it helps. Please keep us updated on your progress with this, so we can see what options you chose and how it worked out. Tips on how you installed the camera and routed the cables will help other FR-V users, I am sure.

Bones126 likes this.
  9. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    It's a great help thanks, I have read that it's best to go for a CCD type camera over CMOS as the quality is better and the night vision is good on them too.
    So, just need to decide on whether to go number plate type or to put in line like the reversing sensor. But when I do I'll do a report on it and an installation guide.

Thanks again!

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure if you'll get a CCD camera in a number plate surround. They're normally more expensive. I THINK @Nighthawk did something on taking apart a CCD camera and installing it in a bumper.

Bones126 likes this.
  11. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
  12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Wow. That's quite expensive compared to the one I got. It looks exactly the same though.

Personally, having used the CMOS type camera on my car, I would not be prepared to pay the premium for the CCD camera version. Yes, the picture quality may be better, but I'm not going to be reading roadsigns, or war and piece via the reversing cameras :Smile:

Would you like me to take some day and night time picture examples of my reversing camera video signal output ?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Looking at that website you linked, they also show the camera can be bough on it's own. On that page, they have a picture of the camera in use, and to be honest, I don't see much better quality when compared to the camera I am using.

13. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nice one @RogerH69 , that would be good if possible please :Thumbup:

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Sure thing. I'll go take a picture now of daylight operation and then one later tonight at home

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure if the guidance lines are added on camera or on head unit, but I did notice that the camera only version on the site you linked did not have the guidance lines showing.

Example of daytime view (yes my camera is excessively blurry, my previous one was not as blurry, I suspect I got a dodgy one, but as I said, I don;t need HD video when reversing :Smile: It's also overcast, so image is a little dark. Red circle shows the spice bottle indicated in second image
    20150401_122958.JPG

20150401_123525.JPG

Shows my camera mounted (looks exactly same as the one you linked)
    20150401_123548.JPG
    Considering how recently I actually installed this, the screws are really badly rusted. I haven't bothered covering them with silicone as I suggested, as I am getting a replacement unit (I stripped the plastic overtightening the screws, and I want a less blurry image)
    20150401_123555.JPG

Bones126 and SpeedyGee like this.
  16. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks @RogerH69 , it's still a perfectly good picture to aid you though. nice one.

17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Crapola. I just remembered I was supposed to take a nighttime picture for you. Sorry mate. I'll set a reminder on my phone to do one tonight

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Here you go. Using another small object to show perspective.

This definitely helps when I am reversing, as my rear windows are tinted at full tint, so I see almost nothing out of them in my street when reversing at night. You definitely don't get much detail, but at least you can see stuff behind you.

20150402_202911.JPG
    20150402_203050.JPG

Bones126 and SpeedyGee like this.
  19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's decent enough.

20. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I'd like to have also a reversing camera. My biggest concern is the screen!
    There are some options:
    - use an already built-in screen (no option, my car does not have one)
    - use a recent sat-nav screen + compatible camera (expensive + I already have the Honda HAC-E half-integrated Garmin 'compact' sat nav, so I don't like this solution)
    - use the smart Phone screen + wifi camera: don't like it because the camera needs to connect via wifi + app: I expect it to be very, very slow and not practicle (I use my Phone a lot via blu tooth also in the car)
    - change the whole radio unit with double DIN and screen... but this is very drastic and expensive!
    - an extra screen: but is something small available that can be build in in in the centre console (between front seats, e.g. where the cup holders are).
    Does anybody have some further ideas or advice?
    Thanks!