ICE & HFT Reversing camera

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by RichT, Friday 12th Apr, 2013.

1. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I really like the reversing camera on my CR-V. The rear window is rather small - the large door mirrors do help, as do the parking sensors, but the reversing camera is great at giving you that extra information when parking.

The only problem is that it is rather exposed. It seems to attract rain, snow, mud and salt like a magnet. Then when you start to park, all you see are fuzzy blobs :Angry:

IMAG0059_camera.

Some manufacturers conceal there cameras until they are needed, but perhaps Honda should come up with an alternative strategy...

IMG_6051_wiper.

:Laughing:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmmmm Not noticed any rain on the camera on the Civic .. I'll have a look in the morning see how that is mounted.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I love the little wiper nice one rich ...

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I was looking at the handbook, online here, fore the USA CR-V and there is a zoom mode for the reversing camera. I looked at my handbook and there is no mention, so I presume there isn't one. I would prefer a means of reducing the angle of view to give a better indication when reversing.

5. Islander Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm trying to get into the habit of wiping the lens before getting into the car; as you say it does seem to pick up rain and dirt very easily. Very useful though!

Love the wiper... and certainly haven't found any zoom control - although where I live at on a bend, the wide angle view is great for displaying both directions before I have to stick my rear out, so to speak!

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Why don't you try putting a windscreen glass cleaner or rain dispersant on the camera lens.

Bones126 likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No idea why I didn't spot this before, but the camera does suffer from rain drops.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rain in the country come from all direction there is nothing you can do to prevent water touching the lense.

I think Doc's tip may be the only viable option to top water adhering to the lense.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've found this annoying too - this weekend I aim to add something to allow any droplets to drip off a "lip" rather than onto the lens.

This is the first bit of the CR-V that I don't like - seems like the camera placement was not thought out as well as it could have been. Minor, but liveable I guess.

10. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cotton bud and a spot of Rainex will do the trick

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Patent the idea bud :Wink:

12. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    Old thread, but wanted to comment.
    Be careful when wiping the camera lens.
    From previous experience with bike mounted cameras, it's way too easy to scratch the plastic lens and that only leads to an increased possibility to pick up dust, etc.
    May seem OTT, but worth keeping one of those old fashioned puffer brushes in the car that photographers use, along with some eyeglasses wipes.

13. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Anybody had an experience of their rear view camera sometimes being in black and white rather than colour?

14. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    You'll get B&W at night or possibly in bad light. It's the infrared.

15. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Might explain why it's ad-hoc when it does it. Must be bad light.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not sure about the 4th Generation but I've also noticed with the 3rd Generation the camera placement is right where people who don't know the car try to open the boot and start pushing it.

17. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    I had the same problem with opening the tailgate when I first got the car. With the tail not being streamlined, it will be susceptible to vortex generation (swirling air). Does the Tailgate Spoiler help or increase the problem ?? Personally I use my mirrors and only use the camera to make sure I've enough room to open the tailgate.