Aftermarket Kit Reversing sensors or Reversing camera

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Westman, Monday 6th Jul, 2015.

1. Westman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Kings Lynn
    Hi All
    I have just searched the archives but still leaves me with unanswered questions I'm afraid..
    So I wonder if anybody can offer advice
    The car is 2005 CR-V auto with factory fitted towbar.
    And the question is "reversing sensors or reversing camera" and is either a diy fit or is it best left to a professional?
    Any pointers would be appreciated
    Rgds
    JR

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Leaving something to a professional depends on your level of competence on doing car electrics. I personally would do it myself however a recent member ended up blowing their MICU up. If you are comfortable with electronics, go for it, if not, then get someone to do it for you is my opinion

I personally prefer sensors, having a camera just encourages people to reverse just using that and not their mirrors

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The CR-V was the first car I've had with a reversing camera and I loved it. Made parking in tight spaces great as you could get real close to the car behind with confidence whereas parking sensors can still leave a fair gap even when going solid tone. Combined with parking sensors it does make parking easy and I was a little wary of getting my new car which only had parking sensors and no camera. But I do agree that with the camera you spend more time looking down at the screen rather than around you and if the sensors are decent enough with wide coverage (i.e. including low objects) then they should be enough. For example, the Astra's rear sensors are too high allowing you to reverse into things such as steel trailers (for carrying rally cars etc).

The camera is excellent for seeing if a kid has run out behind you but good sensors should also detect that. I personally believe that sensors or reversing camera should have been made mandatory instead of those stupid daytime running lights. I think in the US rear cameras are becoming mandatory by 2018, read it somewhere.

4. Nighthawk Guest

I can see the attraction of having both, there have been times that my sensors give false alerts such as when I am reversing down onto the road, it then picks the road up due to its angle in relation to the car. I expect it so I just ignore them anyway as I spend more time looking around than worrying about the sensors but I can see where a camera would then eradicate any uncertainty when the sensors go off.

I only installed them as I was sick and tired of the wife reversing the car into bushes all the time, she really isnt a good driver (also doesnt read forums which is a good thing in my case). Since they have been installed, she hasnt damaged the rear bumper anymore. It needs a respray anyway to properly eradicate the marks she left - they are too deep to be buffed out.

Im planning on installing both on her Civic however

5. Westman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Kings Lynn
    Hi All
    Thanks for the info... I think I will go for sensors! Then the question ultrasonic! (individual sensors mounted on the bumper) or electromagnetic (those ones that are hidden behind the bumper) remembering I have a tow bar fitted..

Thanks

JR

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I prefer my camera to be honest.
    I do have both but found camera really helpful when i have to get really close to car/object behind me.
    I still use mirrors but have to admit that i am looking at camera more.

7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I would vote for both, the camera has stopped me running over the occasional bike, skateboard and other such debris, and in combination with the mirrors allows for really accurate reversing. The sensors give more indication of close proximity in my case. In fairness I use the front parking sensors more than the rear. The other bit of kit I would recommend are the 30deg auto tilting mirrors when you put the car in reverse. Not necessarily this Honda - Side Mirror Auto Fold with Reversing Auto Tilting but I've seen a few different types that do the same thing.

Agree with Nighthawk completely if your moderately competent with your electronics and so on they aren't all that hard to fit but that's your call.

8. Nighthawk Guest

That module looks interesting - was going to do the auto mirror folding on locking but that looks like it does that as well. Pity there is no price on it

9. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Nighthawk likes this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I love my reversing camera, but find myself looking at my side mirrors instead, so I'm leaning towards voting for sensors instead. However, I don't see anything wrong with both sensors AND camera :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got sensors on mine, but at some stage I am going to replace the sat nav unit for something more modern and at the same time fit a reversing camera, cause as someone has stated the sensors can leave you short at times. I've lost count of the times I've stopped got out of the car then realised I'm no where near so bad to get back in and move it back a little more.