Civic/9th Gen Reviews of new Civic...

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by FirstHonda, Tuesday 24th Jul, 2012.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Last time I was in my local Honda showroom waiting for the parts dept, I had a quick look at the new Civic and was quite impressed (without driving it).

That made me look at a couple of reviews, and I'm staggered by the difference between What Car? who don't like it at all, and Top Gear who do like it quite a lot, referring to it as "...actually bloody good."

What Car? give it 2 stars and Top Gear give it 6/10, but it's like they were driving different cars. What Car? talk about the diesel engine being unrefined and there being lots of road noise, Top Gear talk about the excellent diesel engine and vastly reduced road noise! What Car? don't really like the cabin layout whereas Top Gear say that the cabin is a "...fantastically intuitive, ergonomic place."

I guess all it shows is that we need to make up our own minds on these things as opinions are very personal, but it is worrying that two publications that so many people read and make decisions on can vary so much on one vehicle!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Having owned the 7th Generation Civic which was not a looker nor an engine (1.6) which tore the tarmac up. It was reliable never need anything doing it .It had the traits of a typical Honda dependable ,reliable and to a few boring.

In my view Honda have dropped the boring on the 8th and 9th Generation given a lot of technology and gadgets ,but the Civic are poorly built and the 8th Generation has suffered poor reliability issues from day one.This may not be to the liking of the Civic owners but their no amount of sugar coating which will hide the hard fact of statistics which supports my assertion.

Civic didnt win the most reliable car in the UK did it ...Accord did built in Japan. As for the magazine it's opioins which mean nothing anymore if someone likes car they will buy it irrespective of my views or the magazines.

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd like to think that a Honda driver would be able to make their own mind up if a car is good or not without taking everything a review says. BMW or Mercedes drivers on the other hand.....:Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think the issue is that a lot of people may never give themselves the chance to be Honda owners, as they discount the brand on the basis of some of the reviews...:Sobbing:

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Or they look up and down their street and see all the German cars and think they need one too...

There's an E-class next door, a 5-series across the road, a smattering of 3-series. I'm happy with my choice :Happy:

John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As Honda Owners we have a car which are rare and exclusive. we don't need to look out the window and keep up appearances with the Bratwurst's :Wink:

John Dickson likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok, so today I have a Civic (1.8 petrol automatic) as my courtesy car.

I'm impressed, and not just by the styling (I know I'm in a minority, but I think it looks great, especially at the front).

Quiet and refined to drive, feels very stable on the road and nicely made. Practical with plenty of space. Love the futuristic dashboard too...the only thing I'm not convinced by is the rear "split" screen, which makes visibility unnecessarily tricky IMHO.

As a comparison, when I had my VW Tiguan and had Golfs as courtesy cars, I couldn't stand them* and couldn't wait to get my own car back (*especially the stop/start. AAARRRGGH! :Angry:) With the Civic, I actually really like it (although it goes without saying that I still prefer my Accord) - but if I HAD to downsize, I could see myself getting one...

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The Civic Tourer may be the car with a clearer rear view IMHO?

After viewing that clip the Honda emblem should be dropped after all its a European car not a Japanese car at all. Snow testing is catering for one niche.. good for scandinavian customers not for the rest of europe?

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Nice though it was, very glad to have my Accord back as it is nicer!:Smile:

One other thing - wish the reversing camera on the Accord had the "guidelines" that the Civic one has. I found it made using it much MUCH easier...

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup the gridlines are handy but i don't rely on the camera solely for reversing still believer in side view mirrors and glance over in the rear whilst reversing.
    The 9th Generation will have gridlines for sure.

11. sheldon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    very nice. the Civic is a great car

12. JohnnyBoy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Wallasey
    I went from 7th Generation Accord to 8th Generation Civic, and I have to give a nod to your comments on build quality. It did feel a little 'cheaper' than the Accord. Don't get me wrong, it was a lovely car, and it never skipped a beat for me, but I would still rank my 7th Generation Accord as the best car I've ever owned. Being a fairly active forum member from THAOC then on civinfo, there were definitely a higher level of build-quality related complaints about the Civic.

That being said, it's like comparing a gold bar with a slightly smaller gold bar. They are both very good cars, and even with the Civic's build quality issues it's still head and shoulders above everything else in its class.

Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.