Introductions Richard from Denmark

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bertandnairobi, Monday 17th Nov, 2014.

?

Should there be a new Honda Prelude?

1. No, its´s a rubbish idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, it would be the kind of car Honda could sell.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark
    Hi:

I don´t own a Honda but I find their approach to engineering highly interesting. While the S2000 is among the highlights of the last decade, Honda have turned out an amazing range of different vehicles, usually with some very Honda traits. Honda might be the last home for innovative interiors. I always felt the last Civic had the kind of IP that Citroen might have done if they hadn´t been over-run by Peugeot provincials.

Recently I got hold of a copy of an 1987 copy of Car magazine and read with amazement their analysis of the Legend coupe. Close to Mercedes standards was how Georg Kacher put it. He also sneered at the chrome detailing and "decoration". Is this man solely responsible for the long-standing hatred of chrome on cars? It makes sense for Honda to try to sell what people want but I really wish they were fielding cars like the Accord coupe, Legend coupe and the much-missed Prelude. A guy who has one of the last series parks his car in the same garage as I do and he says he´d buy another Prelude if they still made one. And he couldn´t think of a contempary car that fitted the bill. I am the same way with my 1990 Citroen XM. Nobody seems to make a car with the same range of talents. In that sense Honda is far better off than Citroen who these days don´t really make Citroens as I understand them.

Would anyone here like to see an Accord coupe? Is anyone here familiar with LJK Setright who was a Honda fan (and a Bristol fan)?

I would also like to politely and modestly draw your attention to a generalist car-blog called Driven To Write The World's Least Influential Motoring Blog While fora like this is are great for Honda-related matters, I find them sometimes a bit too focused. I am a member of the Citroen XM UK forum which is great and full of helpful people but the subject is, understandably rather limited. is inspired by the general feature content of Car in the 70s and 80s rather than being a place to pass comment on the news of the day, though that sometimes comes up. We have nearly no Honda content at all. We did a series on engines and ommitted Honda entirely. So, don´t come looking for any insight on the S200 or Honda Fit. But if you would like to read other varieties of automotive material, there might be something to look at now and again. And comments are welcome, the wordier the better.

Richard in Denmark

John Dickson likes this.
  2. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Richard. Nice introduction, interesting read :Niceone:

Welcome to HK :welcome:

Yes it's sad in a way how Honda has gone recently but like you say they need to offer some vehicles that sell (to pay the bills) but I'm sure there is also room for other models as well like Accord and Legend Coupe and standard Legend also Integra, S2000 and Prelude....

Hopefully things looking better for the future: NSX is back, Civic Type-R and initial rumours that Legend is set to come back to Europe along with the Prelude and an S2000 concept has also been seen :Yahoo::Hooray:

We have members here who own or are also interested in other car makes so please have a good look round and there's a General Discussion section for non Honda-related content and any Honda questions you have we can answer :sparta:

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hello and welcome the HK Richard. :welcome:
    An interesting point of view. Many of us are very keen to have a larger range of Honda cars available in the UK, especially those built in Japan.

John Dickson likes this.
  4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just as an afterthought to what I said above.

An example of models outside of the run of the mill models on offer is the Toyota GT86. Toyota openly admitted they wanted to launch the GT86 for it's wow factor pulling customers into Toyota showrooms. They accepted they may not sell enough GT86s but they wanted its pull in factor to attract customers who would come in to look at it but then drive off in a Auris Hybrid as a high up Toyota manager put it.

5. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark
    Hello:
    Thanks for the warm welcome. As it happened, Honda announced the fuel cell FC-ev today. I was very impressed: innovative engineering and a really striking body. It looks like the kind of thing Citroen should do instead of their silly DS line of cars which bring nothing to party but chrome trim in odd places. They are not even hydropneumatic but have the same suspension as everyone else. What is the point?
    I have a design review of the FC-ev coming up tomorrow but here is an image from the article for you today.

2015 Honda_FCev_with_commentary.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 18th Nov, 2014
    John Dickson likes this.
  6. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark
    Hi: Thanks for the like. Here is the rest of the article: 2016 Honda FCEV Design Analysis
    I don´t seem to be able to paste that as a link. I think I have got the name mixed up. TTAC described it as the FCEV and other news sites refer to it various ways.
    Have you seen the Toyota fuel cell car? It´s a monster.
    In Car magazine November 1987, Georg Kacher tested the Honda Legend coupe. The headline was "Honda approaches the Mercedes standard".
    The excuse for the review was that the 2.7 litre V6 had been revised and was due to be used in the Rover 800. Interesting is the context. In 1987 coupes were back in fashion. Honda, bless them, were offering the CR-X, the lovely 4WS Prelude and the daddy of them all, the Legend. Unusually for a UK-writer, Kacher liked the Legend overall but considered the car a bit over-chromed and over-ornamented. I can´t really see what his problem was but that´s maybe because in comparison with today´s cars, it looks very simple. I love the slim pillars and the flared wheel arches. Inside is a cabin in rich brown velour upholstery. Again, I like this style. It looks comfortable and the seats look ready for a 900 miles trip to Geneva. Kacher summed up his review as follows "Dynamically the Legend coupe is not perfect, but in terms of quality, equipment, comfort and overall refinement it is almost up to the high standard of its self-chosen competitors". It cost two-thirds the price of a Mercedes 300 CE. While the CE is a land-mark car, it would be hard to resist the Honda, and not just because they are now so rare.
    Richard

7. numpty67 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Richard, interesting read.

Although not sold in Europe anymore the Accord Coupe is alive and well in North America and the Far East where it is now in it's 7th Generation. An Accord Coupe was first introduced in 1987 just after the newly released 3rd Generation Accord in 1986.

Honda-Accord_Coupe_1988_800x600_wallpaper_01. Honda-Accord_Coupe_1990_800x600_wallpaper_03. Honda-Accord_Coupe_1994_800x600_wallpaper_03. Honda-Accord_Coupe_2001_800x600_wallpaper_02. Honda-Accord_Coupe_2003_800x600_wallpaper_04. Honda-Accord_EX-L_V6_Coupe_2008_800x600_wallpaper_05. Honda-Accord_Coupe_2013_800x600_wallpaper_01.

The Civic Coupe is still being made and sold in a lot of different markets along with various other models we will never see here in the UK as they are not produced in RHD or models are designed and built for a local, rather than a global market.

Thanks for the link, some interesting reading.

8. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark
    That´s a fine gallery. I was aware the Civic and Accord coupe were sitll sold in the US. They also go in for smaller saloons like the Jetta. I had a read of an American forum and found that worries about crime were a motivating factor. Boots were held to be more secure. The UK dislike of this type of car baffles me. Buyers like their C-classes and 3s as saloons so there is nothing intrinsically wrong with a boot. But when they think about Civic/Golf/Megane class cars, a boot is a big turnoff.
    The American magazine Car & Driver had a nice write-up of the Accord coupe and have just nominated the Accord saloon as one of their ten best cars. What I notice in the US is that they routinely have 2.4 and 2.5 litre 4-cylinder engines. I feel that the four-format is unhappy over 2 litres. There have been very few European 4s over this capacity that I know of. The late 90s Accord coupe looked good. That one was roundly rejected in the UK but the Cougar bombed too. The Audi TT seems to have been one reason.

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and :welcome:to the club

10. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark