General Road Noise...

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Garry CR-V, Sunday 31st Jan, 2016.

1. Garry CR-V New Member Getting Started

Quite disappointed with the road noise in our 2013 SE model, it's the wife's car and only the 2nd time I've been out in it in the few weeks we've owned it, when she is on hands free using the cars stereo Bluetooth I often say to her close the window which is closed lol, anyway I drove it last night and the amount of road noise coming from the boot area surprised me, the tyres are quality branded tyres running correct pressures, has anyone else noticed this and would a custom fitted rubber or carpet boot floor cover help....

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I recently had my FR-V fully sound deadned, ,, massive improvement.

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What products did you use and what area of the car did you apply them too? Any pics?

When I removed my rubber and carpet mats from the accord that highlighted how well they reduced the sound.

I'm getting some car mats that are 4x thicker than hondas so ill see if that makes a difference.

There was a guy on another forum that did a really impressive and thorough guide on sound proofing his 7th Generation Accord. He fitted some sound insulation behind the wheel wells on both sides that seems to make the biggest difference. He also fitted some foam tape in between the door seals to fluff them up a bit that created a better seal and reduced noise over puddles.

4. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Racy Jace likes this.
  5. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I have to admit that the one gripe I have about the FR-V is the road noise. I had read about it before buying the car so knew it wasn't just mine, but on roads in Lincolnshire where they use large chunks of aggregate it is pretty loud. On others, notably parts of the A1 towards Newcastle, it is almost silent.
    When I test drove the 2013 MY CR-V I was impressed by its comparative silence - but then again I am older and deafer!

6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

just added a video of the deadening on my project log

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Road noise isn't something I've noticed - I consider the CR-V to be very quiet, albeit not as quiet as my Accord was.

The problem with things like this is that it is so subjective. Previously there was a member on here who was looking to buy a 4th Generation CR-V based on recommendations from a couple of people he knew that wouldn't buy anything else. In the end, (I don't think) he bought one (@sc489 are you still around?) as he said he couldn't live with the wind noise generated by the door mirrors. That baffled me then, and after 5,000 miles in a CR-V, it still baffles me now...and no, I'm not deaf in the slightest! But his point was that some people are more sensitive to that sort of thing, which is absolutely correct.

Similarly, there was another member who didn't buy one as he felt it was too harsh in terms of noise, vibration and general refinement. That surprises me too. It doesn't mean they were wrong if that was / is their experience based on their perceptions and expectations.

My point is that a lot will depend on your own experiences and expectations, as well as any local factors (road surfaces etc). I've posted a link to a road test previously that specifically compliments the CR-V on being very quiet, smooth and relaxing...

It may also be worth checking that all the door / boot seals are operating as they should, are fitted properly etc. And that all the windows are fully closed...:Laughing:

8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Dropped off Fatty the FR-V and picked up Chunky the CR-V this morning.:jumpup:
    First impressions on noise levels - very quiet, well pleased! However, I must add that the drive there was into a gale so the return was wind assisted and probably reduced wind noise considerably.
    Must go now, I have 490 pages to thumb through so I can a) answer the phone and b) change the set speed on the cruise control from km/hr to mph. Bloody technical these modern cars :book:

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:Need Pics:

:gohonda::congratulations:

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    :Need Pics:
    Yes, I know!!
    I tried to add the CR-V to the garage but I keep getting stroppy messages, so I tried to save the draft and now I can't find it! :Rant:
    - - - Updated - - -
    "Please enter a value that matches the required format" AGAIN!!
    WTF?
    I give in, piccy below.
    IMG_20160201_163730.

legend-ary, FirstHonda and chris2982 like this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think those messages are if the engine / chassis code isn't in the right format?

Try looking at another I-DTEC 4th Generation in the garage and copy that...:goodluck:

CR-V does look nice in silver btw.

:likeit:

12. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thanks Ed, apparently 2.2 I-DTEC doesn't count as an engine! :whathesaid:

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

N22B4 is the code for the 2.2 I-DTEC I think? God only knows what all those codes actually mean, I only got mine by copying somebody else lol...:lol:

Good to see it in the garage. 104 CR-Vs now in total, we've almost caught up with the Civics on 117, and we are a lot more active on the forum too. :Wink:

Come on the CR-V!

14. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    CN22B4 is the correct code @FirstHonda - at least looking at mine. Hope this helps @FR-V

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thanks both, I copied N22B from another as Ed suggested and it stopped swearing at me and accepted it!
    The photo is a quick snap of it filthy as it landed at home, I must admit the colour hides the muck well!

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

17. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Garry CR-V Hi, going back to the original thread. Did the road noise get worse when using HFT?? I had same problem with my CR-V, It turned out to be because the screen demist was on, and it blasted air over the michrophone mounted in the overhead panel. so it was fed back through the speakers