Engine & Gearbox Rocker cover gasket

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by subhuman, Wednesday 8th Jul, 2015.

1. subhuman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

Noticed a little oil leak from one corner of the rocker cover a week or so ago. Leak has grown bigger - don't they always!
    Hopefully just a new gasket with a bit of sealant is required. Honda genuine gasket £20.

It should be a reasonably straightforward job - does anyone know what the rocker cover bolts need to be torqued to?

Cheers

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Which engine? Hope it isn't the 2.2 I-CTDI!

3. subhuman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good point, totally left that out. It's the 1.7 in the 2005 model.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Can't help you with that one, I'm afraid.

The injectors have to come out to replace the cam cover gasket(s) on the 2.2 I-CTDI. Hopefully they don't on the 1.7, which is a completely different engine.

5. subhuman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It'd be nice if there was a Haynes or workshop manual available...

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    On the 6th Generation Accords the bolts are torqued to 7.2ft-lb (~9nm), so not very tight, probably 2-3 tight turns, I would just hand tighten them up if you can't find the exact specs.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @subhuman please add your car to the club garage, this helps us to help as we can see what car you have just by looking at the bottom of each of your posts.

The rocker cover on the D17 engine, needs sealant applying to the inner corners of the recessed area (the half circles). Torque the bolts down to 9.8Nm or 7.2 ft lb.

exec likes this.