Aftermarket Kit Roof bars

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by PASMITH, Tuesday 21st Jul, 2015.

1. PASMITH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul York
    I recently bought some "Summit" roof bars for my FR-V (an '05 "no roof rails" model) but despite them being described as being for that model they just don't fit.
    No amount of tightening or fiddling will create a solid connection that I can see.
    I was trying to save money rather than get the fairly expensive Thule ones Halfords recommend as I only really use a roof box once or twice a year. Seems that may be a false economy?
    Anyone have any recommendations on roof bars that will fit?

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    probably a daft suggestion but have you checked they a for the right corner, , ,, rear left, rear right etc...

3. PASMITH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul York
    As far as I can see the fittings are identical.

4. stim Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tim
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Do you have any pictures of them fitted on your car @stim ? Would be good to see some.

6. stim Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tim
    Right there ready to rock'n'roll on the annual summer holiday. G3 brand, Italian made, reasonably solid. "Lock" additions not that confidence-inspiring though. image.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nice roof bars I would say buy em before they go.

8. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I've bought a pair of these.. Now I'm fairly handy with most things and not dim... But I opened the box and looked at the picture instructions.. Saw all the bits and bobs and thought I'm gonna need some help here :Frown:
    Mine came with a plastic flexible rubber strip.. Is that to replace sections of the original strip which I'm guessing I have to take off?
    Any and all help would be appreciated as I really don't have a clue
    Cheers
    Ben

9. stim Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tim
    Hi Ben,
    I found the instructions a bit, well, Italian. That is, good looking but not too helpful with directions.

I'm away from home right now; best advice is to just have a go as best you can. IIRC, the way it joins feet to the bars is with bolts, and you may need to take off any rubber strip already in them to fix the feet-rail bolts.

The spare strip is for putting on the underside the front bar to reduce wind whistle, and you cut it to suit your car width.

I think the foot assembly was not too bad- bolt thru the adjustable plate that clamps onto the edge of the door openings to secure the rack on the car.

The foot rubber that contacts the roof (clips onto the short steel rods that slot into the metal feet) tends to fall off more easily than they should when knocked during moving and positioning, but you get the knack quickly enough. I tend to tighten up the boots that secure the clamping plates to get these held in place, stops them knocking the foot rubbers off.

The locks mount into the plastic 'hoods', then the hood slots over the finished foot assembly - take care with how it aligns with the rail to get it solid - and turn the key to lock the hood and lock onto the foot.

Hope this helps! Sorry, could help more if I was at home, let me know if this does not help make a bit more sense if it all...

Overall, a year or two in I'm pretty happy with these. Quick to put on and off when you need a quick run to the DIY store...

10. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    Thank you that did help a lot :Smile:
    I'm just fitting them now.
    My only problem is that the instructions appear to say check the owners handbook for the placement points of the bars on the car...
    I've had a look at the (better) online manual for the similar thule bars and that says put the front one 360mm back from the windscreen top strip... which seems a bit far back. Did your instructions say the same RE placement? Thanks again
    Ben 1465807742918393206630.
    - - - Updated - - -
    https://roofracks.co.uk/pdf-reader/web/viewer.html?file=https://roofracks.co.uk/_pdf/1381.pdf