Engine & Gearbox Rough Idle

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Monday 29th Jul, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I hinted in another thread that I'm getting a slight rough idle after filling up at a BP garage instead of the usual Shell (probably just coincidence) but after running Shell Nitro+ again for two full tanks, running through a bottle of Forte Injector cleaner and also changing the fuel filter it's still rough. We aren't talking major rough, but the slight vibration and pitch change is there. The sparks are brand new (iridium) and a service was done by me mid-May of this year (Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Pollen Filter). RPM's all look normal at idle.

Also, the strange starting problem is still there despite the fuel filter change, although it now tends to sound like it hasn't started and instead of suddenly firing into life it grows to life from silence instead. It really is bizarre.

Any thoughts on the rough idle? I'm starting (perhaps hoping) that the two are related.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When was the last time the EGR system was cleaned ?

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I thought that was just for diesels, has mine got an EGR valve? I used to clean out my Mondeo one every 6 months so I don't mind doing this :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you have rough idling you will have to perform the idle learn procedure even after cleaning the EGR. The k series engines will not idle correctly unless this is done .

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    If I could ask a few questions please:

1. Do you know where the EGR valve is?
    2. Is it straightforward to remove?
    3. How do I do the idle learn procedure?

I'm hoping it's as straightforward as the Mondeo!

Cheers

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Awesome thanks. I should have looked but I was sure that I had never seen it when looking through all the guide. Memory must be fading lol

- - - Updated - - -

Was just thinking, doesn't the actual EGR valve itself need to be cleaned also?

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    A retired friend of mine with 6th Gen had a rough idle and I said it could be the Idle Air Control Valve, however he is not mechanically minded so he took it off to his usual wee garage and they diagnosed a faulty injector. So just in case your EGR is ok, maybe either of these components could be looked into.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I hope it's not an injector! lol Wouldn't a faulty injector effect performance whilst driving though?

10. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I would expect it might give a surging sensation, but I wasn't witness to it. My friend never mentioned any odd performance issues when driving, just at idle.

Hopefully you get to the bottom of it ;-)

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, I don't want to start it until I find out about the actual EGR valve as well, plus I don't know the part number for the gasket despite searching through lingshondaparts several times.

12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Is this the gasket?
    PFKL349434GASKET, EGR CHAMBER
    Link

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye, that's the one. Still wondering about the actual EGR valve though, I know I had to clean it on the Mondeo and if bother you could take the intake manifold off and clean that too (slightly different from the Accord it seems). But the EGR valve would be just as clogged, if not more, than the intake section.

14. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    How many miles has it done since the change in fuel, I do know the ECU's are adaptive and take around 100 miles to actually alter itself to run as sweet as it can, fuel/air ratios? my car was running rough after changing from Morrison's cheap fuel to BP Premium, to the point it was occasionally stalling at idle, however after a few long trips it was running sweet, well before the timing chain snapped, replaced and still doesn't run....hmpth,

Cleaning the EGR would certainly help and could be the culprit, but in all honesty I would get an ODB scanner on it and check for fault codes it could be as simple as a dodgy sensor calculating wrong readings, I've heard of poor performance and/or rough idle relating to the MAF.

Worth a go if you know someone with a snap on / plug in scanning tool.

Best of luck!

Chris.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's been well over 400 miles but I'll keep my eye on it. Was having a chat with my uncle who was talking about those injector cleaner additives you can get. I remember seeing a youtube video where they proved that they did nothing for your car but he said that he saw a demonstration by Volvo of a decent one such as Forte and explained what actually happens. You get a sand/silt like crap building up (presumably because oil does come from the desert after all! lol) and the good cleaners will dissolve this stuff down enough to allow it to pass through the whole system and be burnt off and therefore actually getting it out of your system rather than just shifting it about.

It makes sense because logically your performance, fuel economy etc will drop straight after you've put the cleaner in because it will be burning off the crap but once it's all gone through and burnt away then things should pickup and surpass previous levels of performance etc. I guess the length of time will be dependent on how much crap was in the system. So if these youtube tests were done straight after pouring the stuff in then the results are going to be poor. But if they had given sufficient time before doing the tests then I guess that means they are crap after all!

I've got a fairly decent ODB2 reader but no fault light is coming on in the dash. It's not a full blown Honda reader.

I'll see how things look after cleaning the EGR plate as the gasket is ordered and should be in by Thursday.

Cheers

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Well, the EGR plate is now cleaned, there was hardly any carbon there to be honest. Although I always use super unleaded with the lovely cleaning additives in it, plus Forte cleaner and being a petrol car I still expected some gunk due to all the short journeys I do so it was quite a pleasant surprise. Replaced the gasket even though I probably didn't need to.

Since the fuel filter change the car has been feeling a little snappier and I'll wait a while for things to settle with the EGR plate clean.

If problems persist then I'll probably have to start looking at sensors but I'm wondering if the Honda plug-in machines will be able to see what's wrong? There's no OBD 2 lights coming up or codes showing, but can the Honda machine read Honda specific codes that may be hidden from me?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Have you taken your spark plugs out and "read" them ?

The spark plugs themselves could be the issue, or coil packs, or even a vacuum leak somewhere.

Sorry to add to the already long list of possibilities.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Never really thought about the spark plugs as they are brand new but forgot they can reveal problems. Is there a way to check the coil packs and how would one check for a vacuum leak?

Cheers

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I would start by having a look at the spark plugs, the colour and general appearance can give clues as to whats going on.

Lets say three of them look "normal" and one of them looks very white, that's an indication that one cylinder is not running right, running lean in fact, maybe due to a vacuum leak around the inlet gasket going into that cylinder.

Or perhaps the one plug has some strange wear on it, which could indicate poor sparking due to weaker voltage from the coil.

Pull the plugs, post the pictures and we can take it from there.

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, will do!