Engine & Gearbox Rough idling and loss of power

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by boincuk, Friday 23rd Nov, 2012.

1. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    I have had an ongoing issue for some time with rough idling and occasional loss of power whilst accelerating*:Angry: *The engine management light will come on from time to time. *It will also flicker on and off during rough running while accelerating - sometimes staying on and sometimes going off. *It has been put on diagnostics on more than one occasion (both with the management light illuminated and off) and at no time have any codes shown up*:Aghast::Aghast: *I have changed the MAP sensor, disconnected the Lamda all to no avail. *One thing I have noticed is that the rough running gets worse when the engine cooling fan cuts in whilst idling. *The problem certainly seems to be a sensor issue somewhere - can anybody give me any ideas please ?

Mike

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Mike,

Why don't you pop over to the "Introduce yourself" section and say a few words about yourself and your car :Smile:

I'd start with the basics, make sure you've got good earthing and battery terminal connections.
    You don't say which Accord you have but if its 5th/6th Generation make sure your HT leads and your dizzy are in good condition.

Also worth cleaning out your EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirclation) valve on the inlet manifold.

Also "read" the spark plugs .. ie take them out and have a look at the colour and conditon of them. There are pages on the interweb that will tell you how to do this. Doing this could help diagnose the issue too, EG if one of the is much whiter than the others could suggest that the injector is not giving enough fuel in that one cylinder.

When was the fuel filter changed ?

- - - Updated - - -

There's also an idle control valve IACV on the throttle body, clean that out with some carb cleaner.

Last edited: Friday 23rd Nov, 2012
  3. boincuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ely
    Thanks for the reply - car is a 2002 (just before new one came out - so 6th Generation ?)

Very remiss of me - I do it after posting this.

If that is the one with a flexible tube either side, I have already done it.

Silly question perhaps, but where does it sit ?

Car has new set of iridiums - they are all dark (indicative of misfiring/fuel problems etc)*

Ah, it hasn't been - will look into that one !!

Engine management light and lack of codes is perplexing though.

Last edited: Friday 23rd Nov, 2012
  4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Does anyone know the part number for the IVAC or does it come part of the throttle body 16400RBBJ02?

Cheers

5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Comparing it with my 6th. it looks to be in a similar location with similar coolant hoses running up to it.

Not being a 7th Generation owner I can't be certain if its a separate component or one assembly.

- - - Updated - - -

Just discovered that it doesn't use an IACV as it is controlled by the DriveByWire setup. Any 7th Generation owners know if this is true?

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm not sure but there must be something to sense whether things like the climate control has switched on etc and control the revs accordingly?