Engine & Gearbox Rough Idling

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by maurice, Tuesday 18th Mar, 2014.

1. maurice Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All, seems this site is the best way to find your way around an ageing Accord, so I am hoping all you gurus can help this backyard mechanic with another problem.
    Just over a year ago my 2.0 Accord 2003 model started to idle rough when stopped in traffic and left in "drive" (being an automatic). A month ago the car had a major service (72000 miles on the clock) and the workshop couldn't find anything wrong, diagnostics came up clean. The problem won't go away, I have just returned from another visit to the workshop, they can't trace anything. They tried raising the idling speed slightly, at my request, and still when waiting in traffic (in drive) the car idles rough, sometimes shuddering badly. I don't know what else to do, short of throwing a bucket of money at it or waiting for something to break. I have confidence in the workshop, they are very professional, have great reviews (GoodGarageScheme), and didn't try to rip me off.
    I was hoping this is a typical problem with an ageing 03 model, if anybody has any ideas please drop me a line. At times it can be very uncomfortable sitting in a traffic jam, being vibrated about, I think when it comes time to use the aircon I will have a major issue.
    Cheers
    M

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Maurice I am well aware of this annoyance on the 2.0 and a non Honda background technician will scratch his head as he won't be a subject matter expert or aware of how the 2.0 engine works. Its fixable but not by a normal garage you will need Honda HDS to fix the idling issue completely.

This bug normally happens due to poor fuel quality, clogged fuel filter , fuel filter not changed at the recommended time, poor qaulity of fuel ..supermarket fuels are the main source and triggers all this chain reaction & poor engine oil change history.

So where does your car stand which the above potential scenarios ?

3. maurice Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there,
    Thanks for the info, I now think I have started a ball rolling!
    Supermarket fuel can be a scenario, but I never use this constantly, lets say every second tank up until about 6 months ago, when I switched to BP. Now a Shell on route to work has decided to open early, so I use them. I have read a few articles on supermarket fuel since your reply, definately bottom shelf stuff. Not to be used again....
    Moving on, it seems my throttle cable is breaking down, it has started to stick. This morning was the second time (the first was hardly noticeable) and I had to give a little stamp on the pedal to release it, so this weekend is replacement time. While searching the net for info on the cable, I came across a YouTube video for cleaning the throttle body (at the air filter box), so will clean this up at the same time. I will also check the receipt for the last service and see if the fuel filter was replaced. If not, that will be done as well. Maybe this will sort out the problem. The possibility of an addative (redex?) with the next full tank is still on the cards. Looks like my home mechanic days are alive again, a prospect I am actually looking forward too!
    Your thoughts (and anyone else's) on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for a great site, you guys are doing a fantastic job.
    Cheers
    M

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds